Questions from Tulsa Electrical Seminar

Originally Posted By: bbadger
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

jtedesco wrote:

I am glad you can see my point Bob, I was getting ready to having a long and drawn out discussion and p.....g contest.

Nah.... it's Fathers Day, we don't need to do that today. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

Plus I think the NACHI urinal is overflowing lately.

My wife just gave me The Sopranos season 5 for fathers day, how can I be in a poor mood. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: roconnor

jtedesco wrote:
It's interesting that the NAHI convention soon to be held in Illinois will have a portion devoted to the One and Two Family Dwelling Electrical Systems as a CEU seminar including the NEC and IRC references!

I am confused as to why they need that type of training instead the typical SOP items?

One of the very few written industry references an HI has are indeed model codes ... even though the purpose of a home inspection in not for code compliance ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

I teach an entire course on building codes as part of the Long Island University HI Certificate Program ... mostly based on the IRC and CodeCheck series. Both are listed as reference material for the National Home Inspector Exam (NHIE), along with the NEC ... CLICK HERE. I just tend to find students get lost with the NEC ... and CodeCheck Electrical is a little easier for them to follow.

You may notice that many of my replys on the board include references to model code provisions (as a "guide"). I try to stick to IRC references, as that is a pretty common HI reference. Has a very handy electrical section that deals with the NEC requirements just for homes (similar to the recently reintroduced NFPA 70A ... CLICK HERE).

I was just curious what your take on these items would be.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

icon_lol.gif OK, Bob I understand and will develop a response as you requested earlier, so my comments will be easier to understand by a Home Inspector. I meant no harm.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

jtedesco wrote:
I meant no harm.

None taken ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

P.S. What is your opinion of NFPA 70A, which is essentially the NEC requirements for 1-2 family dwellings? I am debating getting a copy, or just sticking with the IRC Part VIII Electrical for now (lots of handy diagrams and tables that I don't know if they included with NFPA 70A).

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Bob:

70A is as you state. a collection of rules dealing with one and two family dwellings and only includes the Tables and Figures that are associated with the subject of the document.

Electrical Code for One- and Two-Family Dwellings and Mobile Homes
Item # 70A02 $49.00

Reference NEC? facts for everything from mobile homes to high-rises!

Created for electrical installers, contractors, and electricians who specialize in residential wiring projects, NFPA 70A presents the most up-to-date accepted dwelling unit rules excerpted from the 2002 National Electrical Code?.

Organized just like the NEC, but containing only the rules required for residential projects, NFPA 70A covers relevant topics for single - or multiple-family dwellings of any kind. Chapters include:

Use and identification of grounded conductors
Branch circuits
Feeders
Services
Overcurrent protection
Grounding
Surge arresters
Wiring methods
Special chapters address topics such as temporary installations, manufactured buildings, mobile homes, swimming pools, and communications circuits. Save referencing time with a handy Code source that gives you exactly the rules you need for residential jobs! (Approx. 300 pp., 2002)

I am not sure if there is or will be a 2005 version?

My opinion: Nice to have for use during training and inspections but a little to expensive.

![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

What is the source for the book you describe and is it based upon the 2005 NEC?

PS: I would use this instead:

Save hours of reference time making homes electrically fire safe! Take this NEC Pocket Guide along.

Electrical distribution equipment is among the leading causes of home fires. Do more to safeguard installations in single- and multiple-family dwellings by keeping the most-referenced 2005 NEC rules at your fingertips!

NFPA's updated Pocket Guide to Residential Installations organizes Code requirements exactly the way they're encountered during a typical installation. You'll quickly access the latest provisions for:

General installations
Branch circuits, feeder, and service calculations
Overcurrent protection
Grounding
Switches
Plus scores of other applications
You'll also find tips on constructing more efficient installations. Compact size is 3 1/4 x 5 3/4-inches. (Softbound, approx. 450 pp., 2004)

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Also, here is the IRC Table of Contents too (check out "Part VII Electrical") ... CLICK HERE

I understand that it's essentially the equavilent of NFPA 70A (have been meaning to buy a copy to compare), but the IRC Electrical section apparently has many handy diagrams and tables ... like these on service drop and mast clearances/requirements (reduced in size and compliments of www.iccsafe.org):

![](upload://l6fWH3hg6441o5BzxZsFQoi8sgP.jpeg)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?