QuestionsOf The Week January 22

HOWDY & Welcome to another round of Questions of The Week!

A member of the Awards Committee will post questions, at a random day/time.

Eligible members may make one post per question thread to answer the questions.

Correct answers (as judged by the Awards Committee or Poster of the Questions) wins.
Request your choice by emailing fastreply@nachi.org and submit your Mailing address for shipping

Choose your prize from the following list!:

>$50.00 gift certificate from Inspector Outlet
>Case of books “Now That You’ve had A Home Inspection”
>A free Gypsy card reading by the famous Lisa Douglas of Green Acres

Good luck & thanks for visiting

1. Can swimming-pool water be used to fill an adjacent stand-alone spa ?
    a) Yes
    b) No
    c) Yes, with proper back flow protection
    d) After water testing

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
2) Are there any appliances that should never be grounded?
Yes ~ state reason
No ~ state reason

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
3) Which of the below material of window has life span of 50 years?
a) Fiberglass
b) Steel
c) UPVC
d) Aluminium
e) OJ Simpson

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
4) If the force of gravity on objects is the same, why do some masses fall faster?

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
5) The most common and dangerous type of ladder misuse is ___
Ladders should extend a minimum of ___ feet over the roof line

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
The famous music question!

WHO sang this on WHAT song?

But now I’m settling down

7 Likes

Great QOTW, Marc! :wink: :+1:

5 Likes

Wow! What a great prize! :boom: :zap: :boom:

Nice questions, too, Marc! Thanks for doing these.

5 Likes

Great questions Marc. :+1:

5 Likes

Thanks Marc!

1. dont really understand the question, but I would say yes, it can be used, but then the pool would need to be filled again.
    if you are talking about using the pool water to circulate through the hot tub, and back to the pool, then I would say yes, but that would require some redneck plumbing.

2)no, all appliances should be grounded.

3)d. aluminum

1. objects will fall based on wind resistance. Aerodynamic objects will fall faster.

5)most common misuse is reaching too far. A ladder should extend 3’ above roof

Song - mark Chestnut “your love is a miracle”

5 Likes
  1. A
  2. No. Grounding should never have a negative effect.
  3. A
  4. Air resistance
  5. Overreaching, 3

Bonus - Your Love Is a Miracle - Mark Chestnut

6 Likes

Great questions, Marc, :thinking:

5 Likes

some great questions, I pick all of the above,

4 Likes
  1. A
  2. Yes – Electric vehicles while in motion, and wash machines when used in Soap Box Derby races
  3. D’s your best bet. But it’s complicated since the fiberglass clad windows are likely higher quality to start with. The question is without sufficient context as parts other than the cladding/material often fail first, such as window seals.
  4. Usually air resistance
  5. Overreaching. Three feet. (Per OSHA)
    Extra: Your Love Is a Miracle - Mark Chesnutt
5 Likes

Great questions Marc!

1. A
  2. No, grounding never hurts
  3. B
  4. Atomic mass - objects with atoms that weigh more/heavier atomic mass objects fall faster or at least start falling faster until terminal velocity has been reached
  5. Overreaching / 3 feet

EC: Mark Chesnutt - Your Love is a Miracle

5 Likes
  1. A
  2. No. Grounding helps to ensure faults are safely directed to the ground preventing shocks. However, some appliances are doubled insulated and may not require grounding.
  3. C
  4. Air Resistance
  5. Overreaching / 3 feet
    Extra: Mark Chestnutt - Your Love is a Miracle
7 Likes

As usual, great questions Marc!

6 Likes

Nice questions Marc !!

6 Likes

Congrats to David Freund & William Forrest.
The way I see it, is they both got 3 of 5.
Question 4, force of gravity can be a little crazy, but David was pretty close.

The other members had some good responses & I thank you for being here!

1. Can swimming-pool water be used to fill an adjacent stand-alone spa ?
    a) Yes
    b) No
    c) Yes, with proper back flow protection
    d) After water testing
    Yes

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
2) Are there any appliances that should never be grounded?
Yes ~ state reason
No ~ state reason

There are some appliances that should never be grounded. In particular, that applies to toasters and anything else with exposed conductors.
Consider: if you touch the heating electrode in a toaster, and you’re not grounded, nothing will happen. If you’re slightly grounded, you’ll get a small shock; the resistance will be too high. But if the case were grounded, and you were holding it, you’d be the perfect path to ground.

For example, my Emerill air fryer oven has only 2 prongs.

Perhaps @rmeier2 could give his respected opinion.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
3) Which of the below material of window has life span of 50 years?
a) Fiberglass
b) Steel
c) UPVC
d) Aluminium
e) OJ Simpson
c UPVC

UPVC has very good thermal resistance and durability. The maintenance required is very low. It has an average cost and can thus stay for 50 years

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
4) If the force of gravity on objects is the same, why do some masses fall faster?

Mass is the total amount of matter, or “stuff,” in an object. Weight is the force of gravity on an object.
Mass always stays the same, but weight can change depending on how much gravity is acting upon an object.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

1. The most common and dangerous type of ladder misuse is ___
    Ladders should extend a minimum of ___ feet over the roof line

mounting or dismounting the ladder improperly
losing one’s balance
failing to set up the ladder properly
over-reaching while on the ladder
mis-stepping while climbing or descending

three feet

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
The famous music question!
WHO sang this on WHAT song?
But now I’m settling down
Mark Chesnutt - Your Love Is A Miracle

7 Likes

WTG, @dfreund & @wforrest! :+1: :wink:

9 Likes

Great info! I’ve never given it a thought, but you are absolutely correct in my opinion. Learn something new everyday, most days.

9 Likes

Way to go David Freund @dfreund & William Forrest @wforrest . :boom: :moneybag: :dollar: :zap: :boom: :heavy_dollar_sign: :boom:

You know how to get your prizes.

You both are listed here:

9 Likes

Great questions Marc! Thanks for taking time to do this. Congrats David and William!

8 Likes

Corn-grats to the winners!

6 Likes

The toaster stuff reminded me of this wayyy too long narrative but it’s funny.

Reversed Polarity Outlets

When I inspect houses where an amateur has been doing electrical work, there’s a good chance that I’ll find outlets with reversed polarity. This happens when the hot and neutral wires get flipped around at an outlet, or upstream from an outlet. Reversed polarity creates a potential shock hazard, but it’s usually an easy repair.

Reversed Polarity - A brief definition of Hot and Neutral wires:
On a standard outlet, which is technically called a ‘duplex receptacle’, there are two wires that carry electricity. One of these wires is connected to the earth or ‘grounded’, so this wire is called the grounded conductor.
This wire is commonly referred to as the neutral wire, and it should always be white. The other wire doesn’t get connected to the earth, and it’s called the ungrounded conductor, or hot wire. This wire can be any color besides white or green, but it’s usually black or red.
Because the hot wire completes a circuit by coming in contact with the earth, if you touch a hot wire and you’re in contact with the earth (which is pretty much always), you’ll become part of the circuit ~ In other words, you’ll get shocked.

Knife in Toaster Shock hazard scenario #1:
I’m toasting an English muffin and it gets stuck in my toaster.
I look in the toaster and see that the heating elements are off, so I assume it’s safe to stick a knife in the toaster to get my muffin. I should be safe doing this, because the switch that controls the flow of electricity to the heating elements in the toaster shuts off the hot wire.
Unfortunately, my toaster is plugged in to an outlet with reversed polarity, so the switch on my toaster is shutting off the neutral wire instead of the hot.

This means there is always electricity at the heating elements just waiting for some poor sap to stick a knife in, and that electricity will travel up the knife, through my body, and back to the earth.
Breakfast ruined… your mom was right when she told you to never do this!

Work Light Shock hazard scenario #2:
I’m using an old work light, and my finger accidentally comes in contact with the outside of the metal socket that holds the light bulb in place. The socket is always connected to the neutral wire, so no big deal… unless the work light is plugged in to an outlet with reversed polarity. In this case, I’ll get a shock.

If this happens while I’m laying on the garage floor working on my car, there’s a good chance that this could be the last shock I ever get. This can also happen with old table lamps that have exposed metal sockets.

Damage to electronic components? No. I’ve heard that reversed polarity can cause damage to some electronic equipment, such as computers… but that’s not true. Reversed polarity is a shock hazard only.
Electronic equipment will still function fine.

How to fix:
Get an electrician. The electrician will check the color of the wires feeding to the outlet. If the white wire is connected to the smaller slot on the outlet, then the outlet was wired backwards.
The fix is as simple as swapping the wires around on the outlet. If the wiring appears correct at the outlet, this means the white wire is now the hot, and a problem exists somewhere upstream from the outlet. This will take more investigation to determine exactly where the wiring went wrong.
Simply swapping the wires at the outlet would not be an acceptable fix.

The bottom line is that reversed polarity at outlets is a shock hazard. Electronic equipment plugged in to an outlet with reversed polarity will still function properly. You can test for reversed polarity at your outlets with an
inexpensive outlet tester - they cost about $10 at any home improvement store.
If you have outlets with reversed polarity, you should have the wiring repaired by an electrician.

6 Likes