R-22 Phase out?

I was wondering if any of you guys are writing up R-22 refrigerant. I was told by an HVAC technician that I know the other day that they are no longer allowed to top off a system that has a leak with R-22, and if they do and get caught they are fined. I was under the impression that the EPA was phasing it out until 2020, and that R-22 units could be serviced as long as someone still has the refrigerant.

Roy, doesn’t that relate to Europe and not here in States .

Thanks Jim will look for more info… Roy

Roy, doesn’t that relate to Europe and not here in States

ASHRAE Technical FAQ

https://www.google.com/search?q=R-22+phase+out+in+the+us&oq=R-22+phase+out+in+the+us&aqs=chrome…69i57.17710j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

HIs will have to recommend installing alarm systems on outdoor AC equipment, as desperate people needing refrigerant will be stealing it if they can’t buy it.
Don’t laugh, it happened to a friend after R12 was phased out :slight_smile:

Thanks Barry that matches the same info I have read everywhere else. You can still service the existing systems with stockpiled or reclaimed refrigerant. Why are all the techs saying they can’t service them if they have R-22? Are they getting different info from somewhere else? I have found nothing that states you can not service systems with R-22 but every Tech I talk to around here won’t touch them. I can’t figure out if they are confused, are trying to force new units onto people, or scared to death of me since I am also with RESNET ; OR if I am wrong.

Its all a big contractor scam trying to sell more systems. We have in my area contractors charging $100.00 to $135.00 per LB of freon

Charley, what is the norm now when there is a leak or a system needs a recharge after the proper repair?
Do they take the R-22 out and replace it with the 134A or just refill with the R22?

They also have a R-407C and a R-410A that operates at higher temperatures most likely used for Commercial, but 410A is said to be more like the R-22.

Can you shed some light on these different substitutes and the standard used in repairs?

Would help enlighten us on the subject.

I haven’t seen anything other than R-22 or the 410A for residential around here.

So the other part of the question Ken, is do they reclaim the R-22 and/or just top it off with the 410A? I wouldn’t think they can mix it.
I would think think they would need to reclaim the R-22 and why not use the 134A at that point. What is the difference with the 410A.

Just trying to get a better perspective in the different types of HFC’s

R134a and R22 are very different refrigerants.

R134a is used in automobiles.

OK, thanks.
So, do they reclaim the R-22 Miike when repairs are done or just recharge it?

http://www.epa.ie/air/airenforcement/ozone/r22andhaloncriticalusephase-out/

This is all baloney by our government. Must save the planet you know. :roll:

Wouldn’t surprise me it gets reused for the kind of money it is worth.

If I am reading things right you can no longer open the system. Period.

What a scam.

Hope this helps

Charlie I’ve asked a bunch of guys that I work with on energy stuff and they are saying the same price for R-22; $100-130 per pound.

Marcel. On some systems you have to change the compressor, but you can flush the lines out in order to keep the indoor coil. Then of course change the compressor which is not an inexpensive fix by any means. I have not read anything about a substitute that works in the place of R-22 for a lot of systems. I’m sure there are some , but none of them are proven yet that I know of.