Radon follow up test

When you perform a follow up radon test, because your initial test was above 4 pci/l do you charge a fee for the follow up test? IE: Your time/travel expense going back to perform another 48 hour test. I use the Corentium Pro by the way.

After mitigation or simply a requested second test. Absolutely.

8 Likes

Thanks Scott, specifically regarding the requirement of a follow up test after the initial test was greater than 4 pci/l in accordance with the SOP. Radon is HIGH in my area.

1 Like

What SOP requirement are you referring to?

2 Likes

Thanks Chris! I think the term “required” is being confused with “recommended”. The EPA can only recommend testing to determine if mitigation is recommended. Now your state or local jurisdiction may require it, but not the EPA.

To answer you original question, I would charge full price, but only if the client asked for another test or asked for a test after any mitigation was done.

6 Likes

Specifically Protocols for Measuring Radon and Radon Decay Products in Homes (MAH 2019) however as the InterNachi radon courses, NRSB, NRPP ETC… say that initial tests greater than 4pci/l require a follow up test. Do you have an additional charge for that follow up test?

I find that any client requests mitigation if the level is 4 or higher.
Then recommend a follow up test.

Either way, as Thomas does, if I test a second time, its another full fee. Plus mileage if over 20 + miles away.

4 Likes

Thanks Scott. That is what I do.

2 Likes

I no longer provide Radon testing, BUT when I did, I charged for EVERY test I performed that WAS NOT the result of an error on MY or MY Equipment’s part!

5 Likes

What made you stop testing Jeff?

I’ve considered the same as the cost is substantial to place or retrieve a test an hour away. Adding on for mileage drives the cost up and often people don’t want to pay.

2 Likes

If it’s over 4.0 pci/l my Radon Tech recommends a mitigation system be installed.

After a system get’s installed the system installer will test to verify the amounts are below 4.0.

If they want a re-test done, which has only happened once, then the fee is full price.

5 Likes

Many reasons.
I performed testing for approximately 10 years, with only moderate earnings results.
I am based in a small town of 25K, and the majority of my inspections are 30 to 60 minutes away, so like with you, time and travel constraints.
Also, my local competitor in my town is a “good old boy” contractor that does Windows, Siding, and Radon Mitigation! Being a local boy, he has an “in” with the realtors, and only charged them $65-$75 in hopes of getting their mitigation business. At that time, I was charging $150 for ‘stand alone’ testing or $100 in conjunction with an (in-town only) inspection. I only did this for the sake of my clients, but never sat well with me.
Then, when Minnesota went Radon Regulated a few years ago, and did their Cash Grab BS without actually protecting the consumer, I was OUT. The fees and all the paperwork BS was ridiculous and couldn’t justify the ROI when taking everything into account.
I have a couple of companies (non-inspectors) that I refer to if asked, but I mostly don’t bother. It just isn’t worth my time or the hassle.

4 Likes

That makes sense. I would have done the same thing.

2 Likes

Kevin, the key word here is “recommends”. As I stated earlier, folks shouldn’t confuse that with “required” unless your State has a specific Radon SOP. My state is unregulated, so if I told a client that a follow up test was “required”, I could end up in deep doo doo. When I did do radon testing, I provided only the test results and recommended the client to the EPA site for their determination on what to do. I never made suggestions based on the test results. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks Kevin, Is that the initial test or the “average” of 2 separate tests? Both the initial and the follow up?

1 Like

You may be looking at protocol for carbon pouches, which require 2 tests be done concurrent or in succession when a real estate transaction is involved. Using a CRM, only one test is required.

After mitigation, the system is considered not completely installed until a post mitigation test is performed.

Like those above, additional test includes the test fee plus two trips.

2 Likes

Now you’re getting into one of the areas that most testers ‘ignore’, or just flat out make BS up for their own interpretation of the law!
It was never an issue for me as I only used Professional Grade Charcoal Canisters that were always performed with two canisters side-by-side. Those that use CRM’s tend to completely ignore the requirement!

That was not always true!!

1 Like

My Tech uses CRMs for testing, so as long as the lowest living level footprint is under 2K sqft, then only one CRM is required.

If you’re using the cannisters I beleive 2 are required.

3 Likes

In Minnesota only one test is required using a CRP, pre-mitigation. If the footprint of the home is greater than 2000 SF, or multiple foundation types, then multiple devices are required. Single foundation type, less than 2000 SqFt footprint, one CRM is protocol.

I have linked the protocol in the past… It’s easy to find using a search.

Edit: See Brians link below. Only one CRM or two carbon tests (together or one following the other) are required for initial test, pre-mitigation, if 4.0 pCi/L more.

I’m MN licensed, so I need to know this stuff.

2 Likes