Radon readings scale

Originally Posted By: dsutrina
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I do not due radon testing but know a reading of 4 or above is not acceptable. In general would a reading of 7.5 be considered extremely high or does the rating scale run up into the hundreds

Don Sutrina

Originally Posted By: lkage

Don, here’s a chart, up to 20 pCi/L, from: http://www.epa.gov/radon/ …the site has much more info.

The following is an updated chart of the lifetime risk of lung cancer death per person from radon exposure in homes (excerpted from the updated radon risk assessment).
Radon Level a Lifetime Risk of Lung Cancer Death (per person) from Radon Exposure in Homes b
pCi/L Never Smokers Current Smokers c General Population
20 36 out of 1,000 26 out of 100 11 out of 100
10 18 out of 1,000 15 out of 100 56 out of 1,000
8 15 out of 1,000 12 out of 100 45 out of 1,000
4 73 out of 10,000 62 out of 1,000 23 out of 1,000
2 37 out of 10,000 32 out of 1,000 12 out of 1,000
1.25 23 out of 10,000 20 out of 1,000 73 out of 10,000
0.4 73 out of 100,000 64 out of 10,000 23 out of 10,000
a Assumes constant lifetime exposure in homes at these levels.b Estimates are subject to uncertainties as discussed in Chapter VIII of the risk assessment.c Note: BEIR VI did not specify excess relative risks for current smokers.

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: rzimmerman

Don,

Any reading is not acceptable as all exposure is harmful. But the EPA has set an ACTION level. They do not say below is good or above is bad.

It is like smoking. You can smoke all your life and not get cancer, but the more you smoke the more your risk goes up. It is the same with Radon exposure.

If your test at 7.5 was a short term test, recommend a secone short term or a long term test. With a secone short term test average the two results. If still at 7.5 I would recommend mitigate.

--
Rob Z.
www.RZinspections.com

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

What is the correct pronounciation of “picocuries”?

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

from dictionary.com

Main Entry: pi?co?cu?rie
Pronunciation: "pE-kO-'kyu(&)r-(")E, -kyu-'rE
Function: noun
: one trillionth of a curie ?abbreviation pCi

--
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

lkage wrote:
Pronunciation: "pE-kO-'kyu(&)r-(")E, -kyu-'rE
![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

Thanks Larry. I'm afraid I don't understand pE-kO-'kyu(&)r-(")E, -kyu-'rE.

Is pico like peeco?
Is curie like curry the spice?

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

pico like peeko

curie like keyuree

--
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: Caoimh?n P. Connell

Hello Mr. Sutrina ?

I am new to this site. I am not an home inspector, rather I am a Forensic Industrial Hygienist. Some of the response you received are correct, some are quite entirely incorrect.

To answer your question ? the ?scale? of which you speak and run into the hundreds, thousands or even millions. The upper limit would practically (but not physically) be where an atmosphere contains 100% radon that is in ?dynamic equilibrium? (wherein the amount of radon being decayed is instantly being replaced with ?fresh radon.?) Concentrations of tens of thousands of pCi/l is not uncommon in ground water.

Regarding some of the response regarding risk and radon the comment that ALL exposure is unacceptable is simply untrue, and believe it or not, the risk is U-shaped with regard to exposure, and there is what is known as an ?hormetic? effect (some apparent benefit from exposure). In fact most of the popular information I have seen coming from Home Inspectors on radon is very sparse on science and very big on myth. In truth, ALL humans are daily exposed to radon ? it is not only inevitable but, according to the current school of thought, it may be vital to proper cell mutation (yes, some mutations are ?good.?).

Most of the EPA stuff on radon was geared toward about a 6th grade education, and lacks precision. If you would like to know the truth about radon, you may find my page interesting:

http://members.aol.com/piobin/radon.html

Regarding the pronounciation- ?PEEK-o? ore ?PIKE-o? are equally correct, and amongst science types, the prefix ?PIKE-o? will be heard more often. But it depends on where in the world one was raised.

Cheers,
Caoimh?n P. Connell
Forensic Industrial Hygienist
http://members.aol.com/fiosrach/main.html

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG
[/url]

Originally Posted By: bgentry

Mr. Connell, I have had some industrial radiation guage training through Sue Englehardt of Englehardt and Assoc. Given your position, I’m sure you have heard of her before. Throughout the week, she spoke frequently of radon and her views were right in line with yours. Although these views seem to differ greatly from just about everything we as inspectors and consumers are taught from day one, I can’t help but think you two know what you are talking about. Sue is one of the most brilliant people I have ever had the priveledge to meet. So what do suggest that we say to our clients who ask us about the risks of radon? By the way, most clients don’t actually ask about radon, they just ask us if we can test for radon.

Bradley S. Gentry

Superior Home Inspection, LLC

Harrisonburg, Charlottesville, &

Elkton, VA

www.superiorllc.net

Originally Posted By: Caoimh?n P. Connell

Hello Mr. Gentry:

?So what do suggest that we say to our clients who ask us about the risks of radon?? An excellent question. Answer (in my humble opinion): One has to live in the real world of litigation, liability and E&O insurance. I NEVER dabble in home inspections (too complicated for me) and suggest that Home Inspectors leave science to the scientists and follow ?standard-industry-practice? to reduce your liability exposure. So I suggest you pass along the EPA line, but knowing that it simply isn?t valid. For my part, as a scientist, I can bunk the EPA and not get sued or into trouble, but an Home Inspector doesn?t have the same luxury.

Even I have to compromise the truth to achieve certain goals ?for example, when I took the EPA Radon Contractor?s course, I delighted in advancing an area of industrial hygiene known as health physics (you will be familiar with HP because of your radiation gauge training). But most of the instructors didn't really know anything about radiation and were ready to scream! (Except, one of the instructors was a professor of radiation safety, and he loved the diversion). But in the end, when I took the test to receive my EPA certification, I ?towed the line? and provided the answers they sought, not the answers that were valid. I aced the test, got my radon certificate and went back to my classroom lectures in radiation toxicology (which ironically were frequented by members of the EPA).

So, my answer ? ?Tow the line.? That way, you don?t get sued, and I get to make lots of money as an expert rebuttal witness! ? (OK, I?m only joking? I?m not a mercenary, but that really is how the cookies crumble.)

Cheers,
Caoimh?n P. Connell
Forensic Industrial Hygienist

http://members.aol.com/fiosrach/main.html

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG