Radon test procedure- canisters

When taking a Radon test the EPA says, keep the canisters or device above floor 20 inches minimum. This test is on the main I beam in the basement, thoughts? I just found EPA procedure says:

The detector should be at least 50 centimeters (20 inches) from the floor, and at least 10
centimeters (four inches) from other objects. For those detectors that may be suspended, an
optimal height is in the general breathing zone, such as two to 2.5 meters (about six to eight
feet) from the floor.

What did your training instruct you to do?
What does the manufacturer of the canisters instruct you to do?

BINGO !!!

Jim

That picture is not my test, never heard of this company before. They have no instructions on the web site and closed for good friday.

http://www.radiationdata.com/

Just seemed odd to me that the inspector placed them on the I-beam in the laundry area.

After reading the EPA guidelines apparently 6-8 feet is perfectly normal, although I did also read the EPA says one high reading doesn’t mean mitigation, they recommend another test!

This was placed in a home I am selling, I placed my Radstar in the basement rec. room and we will see how accurate the canister’s are compared to the radstar, I could not place my tester where he put his so it is fairly close, start time was almost exactly the same. I’ll update the results for any curious individuals.

I would not put my test canisters on the I beam or in the laundry area. The basement rec room is the spot to put them in (living area of basement). I bring my own test stands so that I can place them in the same spot (height) every time.

I would not put my test canisters on the I beam or in the laundry area. The basement rec room is the spot to put them in (living area of basement). I bring my own test stands so that I can place them in the same spot (height) every time.

Results came back today- The charcoal canisters were 2.4 and 2.5, my radstar 300 was 2.5 . Unreal how close the results were. The charcoal canisters were hidden up on an I-beam and registered the same as my tester 10 feet away at 30 inches off the floor.

Radiation Data is a radon testing laboratory and canister supplier out of Skillman, NJ. It’s the lab I’m affiliated with (required for licensing in NJ). They would have nothing to do with the canister placements.

Do they (radiationdata) advise on proper testing procedures or do they follow the EPA recommendations? How much do the tests costs? I would like to have some spares tests for when my Radstar is in use.

Why do you think there is any difference between the two?

In Illinois they must be 20 inches to 6 feet from the floor. Most I beams would be over 6 feet, and violate the 4" away from other object rule. We also do not test in kitchens, laundry rooms or bathrooms due to humidity.