Radon Testing in New Construction

It aint so.

Whew ! Thanx Mark. Everybody raves about the 1027, thats why I bought it. I’m in the process of doing a side by side by side (litterly) with my Sun 1027 & (2) of the AirChek canister/packets & be interesting to see how it comes out. I overdo everything to make sure I can be confident in what I’m doing. I hope it’s ok to test these this way, the package said 2-6 ft. I can see now the lesser the risk with the canister/packet tests, maybe, I’m sure it would be a tug-of-war between you & the test facility as to if you ran the test according to protocol or not, if a lawsuit came up. The cost just appeared to be a lot more. PF had lots of 10 for $139.00 (I think) & protocol calls for 2 to be used for real estate testing, thats $28.00 for each test, just seemed awful high to me, I don’t know, maybe just a preference, I guess. It’s hard enough to get anything for a home inspection in a 3rd world country like Wyoming.

Hey, I got it, maybe I could put in my contract that it’s the persons fault who asked me to do the test & they will be held liable if the test results come back unfavorable or questionable, or over 4pCi/L, after all it wasn’t my idea to do the test in the first place, ??

I believe that EPA protocol says that when doing “Simultaneous Testing” the detectors should be the same type and be 4 in apart. When you said 2-6ft were you talking about height from the floor or distance apart?
If you need the EPA protocol it is here:
http://www.epa.gov/radon/pdfs/homes_protocols.pdf

Dick

yes, the height said 2 to 6ft, some say breathing height, I actually put the AirChek packets on each side of the tamper proof box I made that is approx. 8" wide, so the air hopefully would be the same around all test units

Only recurring cost is about $125 or $150 for yearly calibration…

Do they calibrate the monitor inside the 17" tool box you put it in?

Doug Wall
Radon & Mold Professionals
www.radonmoldhelp.com

http://www.nachi.org/cage.htm

Regarding the original topic (testing new homes) it should be checked with the builder to determine if there is any compensation provided to the buyer if unacceptable levels are found.

Here in PA, for example, some builders allow 30 days after closing to have the test performed (this accomodates for the fact that there are often the builders’ last minute repair crews, and movers in the days immeditely before and after closing) to be compensated by the builder (or have a mitigationsystem installed). Toll Brothers does this.

Pulte offers a $500 credit, but only allows 3 days after settlement to have a result.

THP and Orleans offer no compensation (at least when I last checked). Orleans does install a PVC chase which penetrates neither the slab nor the roof, and is not often used by mitigation installers who do not wish to incur additional liability for penetrating the new roof.

Check with the builder (or have your client check) to determine if they get any compensation, and what the allowable time frame is to obtain results.

Joe M.

I see on your website that you offer Radon Testing in PA. Your name however does not appear on the PA DEP Website as being Certified to offer Radon Testing.

Joe H.
I sub it out and explain that to clients. It is one less trip to the home for me and easy enough to arrange.

No, they do not calibrate it in the box, I created my box off an idea that was posted here before & that Nick had in his post on this thread, mine has a 4" hole in each end & a 6" oval hole in the back & all covered with thin speaker covers. I ran a side by side test with 2 AirChek packet tests & even did a test with the lid open & of course, a test with the monitor alone. I did all these tests in the same area of the same house & tried to run them all about the same times of the day for 48 hours. I surely wouldn’t feel safe leaving the exposed monitor w/o some kind of protection in an occupied house for fear some kid might try to use it for a football. At least with the box hopefully the worst thing that might happen (hopefully) would be it would have to be recalibrated. I like the “handy factor” of the box as I can carry my cables & supplies inside. As we speak I am in the middle of doing a retest of a house that tested a 13.6 avg. with several readings above 20… Yikes !! I am using 2 of the Air Chek packets for my retest & am hoping they will turn out the same, if not I may leave the planet & find another line of work. Not really, if they come back a lot lower (can’t imagine anything being much higher that didn’t glow in the dark) I may reconsider offering this at all, it may be more trouble than it’s worth & if I offer it I want to be fair & honest to my customer, I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’m open to any suggestions…

1/18/o8 Friday-4:51 p.m. FYI just got the results back on the “real estate” side by side test w/Air Chek Radon Test packets referred to in above post-#1 was 11.3, #2 was 13.0 avg 12.2, The reason for the big difference in these 2 is #1 fell off where I was testing both (it only fell about 18" but it must’ve been enough to make some difference. So evidently there is sufficient air flow through thwe “18” box for those of you who might want to make one to protect your monitor. I will still probably do an occasional comparison test just to be safe, Yeah I know it’s a waste of money but I want to make sure we stay between the lines…

Testin of new houses should be repeated in 3 to 4 years after the house has had time to settle.

BTW: Passive systems don’t work, but they save the owner the price of running pipe after the house is already built. Just add a fan.

I believe Pa’s required training says different. Passive works to some degree, verses nothing, and retesting every two years. Or, retest sooner if living conditions change, or remodeling takes place.

tom

Ok, here’s some info directly from SUN… I was also sent two PDF’s. Unfortunately only one was small enough to post.

"…Since the EPA [monitor testing] has been dissolved, the NRSB and NEHA-NRPP holds the device listings and have the same device listed on their web sites with device numbers for the 1027 and group codes as well. (SO IT IS AN APPROVED CR MONITOR)
www.nrsb.org or http://www.nrsb.org/measurement_devices.htm

www.neha-nrpp.org or http://www.radongas.org/devices.htm

[FONT=Arial]The definition of integrate is to:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]to indicate the total amount or the mean value of. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Which is exactly what a 1027 Sun Nuclear monitor does. It collects alpha particle counts of radon and averages them and records them to provide the “hourly average” .[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Third response is the New York ELAP programming. ELAP is quite simply a state requirement for radon measurement companies to either use a state licensed ELAP lab to provide measurement results for them and report to the state periodically results per zip code or they can certify themselves as an ELAP lab and analyze their own results and follow simple ELAP procedure. Most individuals that use 1027 monitors in the state of NY are ELAP certified following the proper state guidelines and provide their own results so they do not need to introduce a third party into their services."[/FONT]

I use a Radalink telemonitor. The people at Radilink are great to deal with and you get the results within an hour upon completion of the test. You will first receive the test results in a text message on your cell phone and then an e-mail will be sent to you and anyone that you wish it to be sent to. Realtors love getting the information that quickly. I tried the canisters and the Realtors were not happy with the long wait.

E-perms are read on site and the data entered into your lap top. You get the answer in under a minute.

Dick

E-Perms have to be recharged at some point. Truth is there are plusses and minuses to each and every device and testing method that is out there. Which one is best for you depends on your own situation. However…

There is some truth to the fact that Sun Nuclear is not “truly” integrated. This was reported at Illinois State University Radon Education Day, this past November, by Phil Jenkins, PhD, Bowser-Morner, Inc. Bowser-Morner has the first and largest radon testing chamber in the US. They work on and calibrate all makes and models so there is no reason for him to have any bias. You will not find a bigger expert on the subject of Radon Measurement Systems anywhere in the United States. So sorry folks…I have to say it is so when it comes to Sun Nuclear.

And yes somehow it is an EPA approved device…

I guess by canisters you were referring to the charcoal canisters that are sent in to the lab for reading. I agree that that is a slow process. The E-perm system is deployed two at a time for accuracy and you are correct that once the charged detector gets to 200V then it must be replaced but the cost is small. I am not familiar with the Radilink system. Are you saying that the detector “talks” to the lab and the lab sends the report to you? Do you transmit the info or is there a radio device? Is there a charge for each reading?

Thanks,
Dick

Radalink has a couple of options. With one option, you pay them a certain amount each month and then about $25.00 a test. The other option is unlimited tests, but larger monthly fee.

You hook a phone line to the machine and press a button. The machine dials an 800 number to Radalink, and upon connection, it downloads it’s info to Radalink. Within about an hour, Radalink e-mail’s & texts the answer back to you.

Radalink’s new monitor “The Aircat” eliminated the internal modem which made the older units so big and bulky. Now the new one communicates with most bluetooth devices and sends data via your handheld cell phone, PDA, bluetooth capable PC, etc. Pretty neet set up. It includes a tri-pod so you don’t have to bring along a table or TV tray. It weighs only 2.5lbs and is about half the size of the old monitors.

Details at www.radalink.com - Product specs