Real world voltage drop

Well I just got my circuit load tester this past weekend so I thought I would try out this morning on an old flip house. The outlet farthest from the panel registered 12% drop or 106 volts. I believe the NEC says that 5% is within tolerance.
My question is what is the real world point where it is prudent to call it out? Going around my house built in the 90s where we haven’t had any problems, I got 8% drop in some outlets.

Admittedly, this tester is very new to me and i do have to learn more about it but that is why I’m asking

Thank you everyone.

The NEC does not require voltage drop compensation except for some limited installations like fire pumps. Like it or not the 12% drop is code complaint. I have a similar issue in my own home receptacle farthest from the panel is next to my wife’s makeup vanity and when the blow dryer gets turned on the receptacle read about 104 volts. The NEC says that’s a design issue. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Many power supplies are rated for 100+V, when you drop below 100 the device may not work at all or become damaged. Sometimes VD may indicate issues beyond wire gauge. Be careful if, when, and how you call it out.

2 Likes

Understood. Thank you guys!