Realtor Misquotes - Winter Home Tips

1. Electric baseboard heaters are always drawing power even when shut off. If you are not intending to use them shut off the switch at the hydro panel.

Hydro panel? Is that some Canadian thing??

Hydro is a Canadian term for Electricity. Prior to the advent of nuclear energy, most electricity was generated from falling water. Having to do with water (hydroelectric)[Hydro is Greek hudro from hudor water] - Oxford Dictionary.

So even today Canadians refer to electricity regardless how it is generated as Hydro.

Another Canadianism. :slight_smile:

When working on a mall project in Watertown NY in the 80’s, the site required fill in an area adjacent to a section with an erected steel frame. The two wks. prior to concrete panels being hung, dumptrucks streamed through during single digit high temps. After hanging the panels there was a five day wait for the heated space to thaw the frozen ground that drilling confirmed was 11’ deep. Yeah, for whatever reason, traffic does push the frost deeper.

Yes, that’s for sure. I’ve had similar experiences with driveways.

Any time we would put water lines under them we went about 6’-8’ and covered the top and sides with 2" rigid insulation. That worked well.

Someone posted that #2 is true, but I can’t speak to frost. In fact, perhaps someone should define frost for me. :smiley:

#1 is true, but it’s true of virtually everything in your home. If something is plugged in and has control knobs, which I think baseboard heaters do, then it is always using electricity. Look at your television, your DVD player, etc. Most of them now have digital displays with the time on them. That’s electricity doing that, folks. How do you think the appliance know what we do when we push the ON button? Electricity.

There was an article by San Diego Gas & Electric a few years ago that discussed this topic because a SDG&E user had come back from a vacation only to find something like a $100 utility bill. They had “winterized” the home, having shut down everything, unplugging the refrigerator and other “unnecessary” appliances, etc. However, they had left the alarm system on, as well as everything that had programming or clock settings. I think SDG&E stated that a 1,500 SF home with standard appliances (dishwasher, microwave, television, etc.) would have a $25 electric bill even if nothing was ever “used.” Now that’s a nice business. Having everyone pay me $25 each month for not “using” anything. :smiley:

digital displays use such a minute amount of power your vcr clock for ex. could be on for years and not cost a dollar.
As for electric radiant baseboard heat it’s either on or off.

It is common to find electrical appliances which are called Vampire energy users. They have stand-by mode (powered down) for quick start-ups. Computers and LCD screens are examples.

Up here it is even higher We have many charges to debt lowering ,delievery hook up and other charges both for electric and Gas .
To find the cost of energy used a person has to look close to the bill and it is there.
Electric heater up here use no hydro if not turned up just like me electric kettle not turn on no cost for juice.
The TV, VCR, ECT use very little to stay warm and the life is extended by noy unpluging them.

The same for my car even if I do not use it I still have to pay for my insurance and the license and parking and deprectiation.
Them’s the fact of life pat it or lose it.
Roy sr

Sometimes we are called upon to save Realtors from themselves.

Had an inspection, not too long ago. Old furnace in a small room showing yellowing of the flame. Yellowing increased when the door to the room was closed. Insufficient combustion air.

Expained the problem to the client, but the Realtor chimed right in, “Oh, that’s no problem. Just leave the door open and keep this basement window cracked.”

Later, I took him aside and explained, “Do you really want to assume the liability of this guy dies as a result of following your suggestion? Are you a licensed and qualified and insured HVAC tech? Why would you want to open yourself up to that liability? Let and expert, one who knows what he is doing and has way more liability insurance that you do make the call and take the heat.”

He was floored, but had to agree with me. What he saw as an offhand comment in an attempt to make the problem go away was actually his making a recommendation outside of his area of expertize that could get his client killed and him sued down to his skivvys.

Sometimes, helping the Realtor is also a way to help our clients.

Hope this helps.

Corn stoves in Virginia make whiskey! They also attract ATF agents.

TG

The second item is pretty well on target, as others have said. Snow insulates of course, but compacted soil with moisture in it is very conductive and definitely forms ice farther below the surface. When possible, it’s also good to run water lines in shaded areas that won’t go through as many freeze-thaw cycles on temperate days, which can dramatically boost moisture content in the soil too. I had a GC/excavating business before I got tired of competing with “Guys With Backhoes” (and no competence or insurance and other overhead until they got sued), and if I had a dollar for every time I dug up frozen/broken water lines under a driveway in March…oh wait, I usually got hundreds of dollars on those jobs. Digging ice is worse than digging weathered granite, in my opinion. Even with frost/star teeth on the machinery buckets. Normal burial depth at 9,000 feet in the Rockies tends to be 8’ minimum if you don’t want your water line to freeze in the harshest winter, or 12+ feet under travelled areas.

Even now, the areas where the horses stand around is still frozen solid several inches down, delaying the grand spring s— scoop. Easy digging everywhere else though.

On the topic of winter, I figure it’s also worth thinking about property layout in cold climates. Homes are generally built and sold in spring through autumn, I was called in several times to improve drainage in newer homes when ice flows built up in poorly drained, poorly planned north faces where someone decided a detached garage could face the sunny south front door of the home, driveways with water lines under them and the like. What might slide on a sunny southern face around a residence almost certainly won’t fly on the north face.

Raymond;

It is a fact that ReEstate Agents should not be Inspectors, they are too much like Car Salespeople. Money talks and bull**** walks.

The one correct statement made was frost is driven down by vehicles, and that is correct to the proper definition of a non-insulated surface, meaning no snow.

Up in Madawaska, Maine back in the late sixty’s, my Uncle was the road Commissioner and I heard that saying all the time. Frost would affect water lines down to eight feet deep in the road ways and in the snow covered fields, it would be about 4 feet deep.

I am confused as to why an electric baseboard would use electric power when the thermostat is off, I thought the thermostat was a switch? Is it not?
I agree that some electronic components use power like my computer, printer, speakers that I leave on for convenience, but electric baseboard. :shock: :roll: :slight_smile:

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Ray,

1. If baseboard heater’s thermostat have a Low position marking on its faceplate then that realtor’s monthly blurb is right…reason being that up here in the North everything freezes and thermostat’s manufacturers simply don’t want our pipes to freeze.
    However, if that baseboard heater thermostat has a Offposition on its faceplate then that realtor’s monthly blurb is incorrect…

2. Now, that speaks for itself, compressed insulation is not effective…