Receptacle height for a gas stove

Never saw a set up like this and cant find any code specifically for gas ranges and receptacle height. Thanks for any help with this.

It is what it is…

2 Likes

Not against code, unless local to your area. I’d tell them to be careful and not hit it with hot pan or they could melt it :slight_smile: the outlet should have been installed behind the stove, not above it.

3 Likes

Yea not sure why they installed it like that but thanks.

Sorry but…why do you care? As stated above^^^^^^^^^ it is what it is.
Simon is good, but, hitting it with a pan and melting it? HUH!

Cheers

1 Like

Perhaps the previous range had a rear console or back splash, or was electric…

1 Like

I know where you are everyone is educated & goes through years of apprenticeship… :smiley: but here new homeowners (especially the young couples) are often not very bright… yes, some don’t know that a hot pan or a pot can melt the stove’s insulated wire :slight_smile: (they assume it is by design and there can be no issue because a “licensed” electrician put it there). When you mention it to them, hopefully they learn something, if they already knew, no harm done. For example… I sometimes find people running 120V extensions over and right next to single wall vents that get 500+F hot or even storing (combustible) items on top of one! Yes, I have to explain it to them… this is dangerous, this is what can happen… Lucky you didn’t have to do this up north :slight_smile:

Here is an example I found not long ago, take a note of a polyester bag sitting right atop of oil-fired boiler’s vent:

The buyer cared and I didnt have an answer. I’ve never seen it before and wanted to make sure it’s not a problem.

3 Likes

it is a problem

1 Like

As a past builder years ago we did it so people could have another receptacle to plug into.

THEN we found out people would plug their toaster, etc into the open slots and a cord would fall across the burner and short something out, so we quit putting the receptacle OVER the range.

Sloppy but not against codes in my area. When we see it, we explain it … recommend moving it THEN keep moving

4 Likes

I think there’s a problem with gas stove itself.

Morning, Drew.
Hope this post finds you well.

From what I understand. Other inspectors can chime in.
Electrical receptacle outlets, on branch circuits of 30 amperes or less, and communication system receptacles shall be located “no more than 48 inches” ( 1219 mm ) ‘measured from the top of the receptacle outlet box’, nor less than 15 inches ( 381 mm ) 'measured from the bottom of the receptacle outlet box. to the level of the finished flooring.
Physical barriers and obstructions shall not extend more than 25 inches (635 mm) from the beneath the receptacle.

Is that a CEC requirement? The NEC does not have that requirement.

Afternoon, Jim.
Hope this post finds you well.

Not CEC but Uniform Building Code & Disabilities Act. The Uniform Building Code 1106.3.3 on Accessibility for the handicapped uses 15" to 48" for operating control heights within Section 1106 dealing with lighting controls, electrical receptacles, environmental controls, security and intercom systems. I am sure you have seen what appear to be low wall switches.

1 Like

Thanks Robert.

Thanks Robert