Red PEX throughout the home

Is there an issue with red PEX being used throughout the home? Red PEX was used for hot and cold lines.

I would assume that red PEX would be fine to use for cold water, but I cannot find anything to confirm this.

If anything, I would use red for hot and blue for cold, Harry.

2 Likes

There is no performance difference between any of the colors. Typically, red is for hot and blue is for cold. I think plumbers do this as a courtesy and usefulness.

2 Likes

Comes in several colors, to help the plumbers during installation.

1 Like

Sure, I understand the color codes for PEX. I just needed to find out if the use of red PEX throughout the home was an issue.

They are the same product - just collored for convenience, there is no code for them to use blue or red - sometimes its all white.

2 Likes

It is more of a pain but just run the hot water for a while and you’ll know what is what by touch.

2 Likes

Not an issue.

No it’s not. There was a time when PEX came in one color. People got dumber since then and now PEX is colored.

3 Likes

In this situation I would think the more important question is, 'Are all the fixtures plumbed correctly; cold on the right, hot on the left?"

1 Like

my plumber just uses what he has so its all random…lol
If you had to get picky the red will fade faster when exposed to uv

If the plumber was color blind it really wouldn’t matter would it?

2 Likes

No, except maybe to the remodeling plumber.

3 Likes

That would be a clear indication the PEX has had too much UV exposure. PEX should not be exposed to UV light for any time.

4 Likes