Repair Cost Estimate by Home Inspectors

I just love the fact that we can get so many opinions and answers to a question that really can’t be answered in a yes/no or right/wrong way.
It’s always interesting and imformative.

IMO…

Yes. You are right.:wink:

Let me take a swing at this one.

The process of determining a repair cost is genrally different from the process of determining the condition as an HI.

For example in my Contractor and Estimator days I’d prepare cost estimates for replacing a roof. To do it right and come out reasonably accurate )(meaning a price that didn’t end up costing you money) required time spent in making measurements that HI’s don’t make.

Like all of you I’ve seen roof conditions that I knew were not going to be cheap to repair/replace. But when asked I answer honestly that I don’t know precisely what it would cost and that doing the necessary measurements and calculations isn’t part of their HI.

Because I have the background I considered offering that sort of service at one time but decided against it.I thought about how I feel when a RE agent tells someone they shouldn’t pay more then 299 for a home inspection. I imagined what a real roofing contractor (or any other contractor) would say about me in a similar circumstance. So I decided that pricing is best left to those who are willing and able to do a particular job. In my thought that is the only fair way to be to my customer and to keep on the right side of the local trades.

How about NO WAY Greg

Thats the deal…It’s tempting to be all things to all people.
I can see both sides of estimating, and at the end of the day its a personal choice. However the guys that seem to offer the service are doing it for a professional one-up on competition, and percieved better service. I can’t see how the added risks are good for ones sanity.
For me its about professional boundaries and knowing when to say no. Lets face it clients/ realtors would have us there doing repairs as well if we offered this service.

I give my Clients Dales phone number.:stuck_out_tongue:

If Asked, I give them a repair cost guide, not an estimate, and advise them to contact a qualfied contractor. The guide is pricing I put together from local plumbers, roofer and such.

I agree I think home inspectors should be very careful when it comes to giving out estimates. I have had Realtors try to force me to do that, and all Realtors have done is bad mouth me behind my back because I am a thorough inspector working in the best interest of my client the buyer. I spend maybe 3 - 4 hours doing the inspection and a lot of time doing a custom report on my computer. I don’t get paid enough to research and do extimates and it is risky.

Even after over 30 years in the real estate business, I don’t provide estimates to repair things. However, in trying to HELP my Clients as much as possible while still covering my own liability in this litigious industry, (http://www.homeinspectorlocator.com/resources/costtorepair.htm).

There are many home inspectors with many years experience in construction as contractors in the construction industry. Each inspector should act according to his experience level. If qualified an inspector may give advice on any subject as well as estimate the cost of repairs. It is unusual that walls need to be opened to estimate the cost of repairs and if this condition exist the experienced inspector would know and recommend this.
Please don’t try to limit the activities of people that are more qualified than you are to your capabilities.
If you are competent and qualified, offer your services to your clients, but not for free.