Ridge cap

Comments? Would you report on it and, if so, how would you write it up?

“Ridge cap may not have been istalled in complete accordance with shingle manufacturer’s written instructions, and should be evaluated by a qualified roofing contractor for possible correction.” How’s that, coming from a non-inspector?

Lol
Roofer may have been under the influence and Ridge cap mat not be installed in a fashion it will last, Recommend a roofer to review and estimate repairs . Please note call in the morning before the bar opens.

I don’t know Wayne, when I was in the trades a I saw roofers start drinking at 6AM and drink all day and their work was better than that. Judging from the geometric pattern, I’d say that’s an LSD or mushroom roof.

“Cap shingles at the ridge were improperly installed.
This condition may result in premature failure of the cap shingles.
The inspector recommends correction by a qualified roofing contactor.”

Very true Very true it is one for the books

I would write the Ridge-Cap Shingles do not Lap one another like any other Ridge-Cap Shingle I have ever seen installed or have installed myself on any roof in the last 35 years, nor have I ever read any Shingle Manufacturers installation recommendations for installing Ridge-Cap Shingles in this fashion but I would be tickled pink to have my observations reviewed by a Licensed Roofing Contractor for his professional opinion.

I might also add: “It is nothing short of a miracle the wind has not removed them from their present location installed in this fashion since they are not sealed to one another correctly”—:smiley:

Or a short version: “Have the Cap Shingles installed correctly by a Licensed Roofing Contractor”-----(which is what I would actually put in my report)–:smiley:

Or I’d write what Kent said—:stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know, Dale, the tickled pink part is quite nice…:smiley:

“Cap shingles at the ridge were improperly installed.
This condition may result in premature failure of the cap shingles.
The inspector recommends correction by a qualified roofing contactor who will tickled pink when he sees this roof.”

Observed conditions of the ridge cap, shows that it was not installed per Manufactures Recommendations for a laminated roof shingle of this type.

Roof caps at the hips and ridges should be installed using a same color three-tab shingle of the same Manufacturer or the Accessory Shingles utilized and recommended by this manufacturer for this type of installation.

I would recommend a licensed Certified Roofing Company make the recommendation to repair. :):smiley:

Thank you…much nicer. :smiley:

Roof caps at the hips and ridges should be installed using a same color three-tab shingle of the same Manufacturer or the Accessory Shingles utilized and recommended by this manufacturer for this type of installation.

I would recommend a licensed Certified Roofing Company make the recommendation to repair.

**I am not sure I would be so nice. Marcel - you are absolutely correct - they have used the wrong shingles. They need to be replaced by the roofing company with the correct shingles. I do not know how old that roof is, but it looks like it should still be under a warranty. I would suggest they call the installing company to correct. **

Ridge Caps are installed in an amateurish manner. In our opinion this is more prone to roof leaks or blow offs. Have a COMPETENT roofer FIX Ridge Caps properly.

Looks like the installer used laminated shingles for the ridge.

It sort of does, Chuck, except that you can see lamination separations at some of those cap shingles.

two choices, first, due to a change in my professional ladder, the condition shown was not observed. Or what kenton said.

714 9th 8-5-09 033.JPG

“Ahhh we do it that way all the time.” =)

Looks like they had a bundle of architectural shingles laying around and had to finish the job.