Roof Age

I inspected this house today and the agent claims that they replaced this roof a couple months ago. It looks older than that to me. Anyone have toughts? Plus their is 4 layers of single on the roof.

Eric, I can’t help with the age too much. Tough for me to tell. In general if you think it looks between “new” and a year or two, just say that.

As far as 4 layers… are you seeing 4 shingles at the drip edge? Could be 2 layers as well. A starter course and then the roof, 2 each x 2 layers = 4 shingles. If there were in fact 4 layers… this is definitely a problem. My area used to allow 3 layers, now it’s 2. Most professional roofers never did install the 3rd layer anyway, it was done when someone got some “help”.

The roof looks a bit wavy, like a roof over.There are some concerns that you may wish to mention with really wavy roofs as far as roof’s service life etc. Did you look between layers (if possible) to see if underlayment is between layers?

The spacing and staggering look OK, but it’s a bit hard to tell from an angle. Where the siding meets the shingles does not look OK IMO. Possible flashing issues and clearance to siding doesn’t look great either.

Posted a pic or 2 for ya.

Yeah its definately 4 layers and I didnt see any underlayment between the layers. There was a wave in the roof as well. Yeah and Tim where there was no flashing you pointed out there appeared to be past/present water instrusion. See photo from attic. The house definatly has a flashing issue. What puzzles me was that the agent shaid she had another inspector inspect the house about a month ago and he didnt mention the roof.

4 Layers is huge/really thick. Like 3/4" of shingles, maybe a lil less or more but geesh.

If the IRC is prevelant where you are, 3 layers is MAX. Double check in your area AHJ. In of itself, the number of layers may be reason to have eval’d by a roofer.

That fibre board sheathing sure does a good job soaking it up :slight_smile:

Were there recent rains? Were any areas you saw damp or wet to the touch? Moisture meter?

Don’t second guess yourself just because someone else didn’t mention it. The other inspector might have done, well, who really knows what. The stains *could *be from a prior roof leak. The toe of the vent lifting is really just a maintenance issue.

If you think that there are enough issues to punt the issue to a roofer, you may have to do just that. That’s a call you have to make. If there were 4 layers of roofing, I’d inform my clients to have evaluated by a roofing contractor within the contingency period, for sure.

It appears to be a bit older than that to me, but since they claim the roof is “new”, I would suggest that they produce proof, such as a copy of a contract, copy of check, etc. Another alternative - ask the neighbors if they recall it. If it is really that new, proof should be no problem.

Do they require permits for a second or third layer of shingles? I agree with Frank. There should be a receipt or warranty if the roof is new.

My thought was simply if it is the fourth layer, it’s wrong

I don’t think there are 4 full layers. The drip edge is always going to have 2 layers for a single layer roof. So if you see 4 shingles, they probably just installed the 2nd roofing layer like a new roof with two new layers at the bottom. If it was only put down in the last couple months, there probably has not been enough heat / sun for the new roof to relax, lay flat and the tabs to seal.

The lack of flashing is going to be the biggest issue. There could be step flashing at the side wall under the new roof layer but that still isn’t correct. There also needs to be adequate separation between the siding and roof surface. The siding is going to rot at that contact point. Looks like a traveling gypsy roof job.

Call it out as non-professional installation in need of repairs and move on.

I agree with Tim and Stephen, the drip edge is not a reliable source at determining number of layers of roof covering. The rake edge will give you more accurate results, not always a 100% correct.

Like this one from last week, definitely more than two layers.

The rake edge is the best area to determine number of layers. How old is the home? You most likely have two layers.

Judging from the amount of granules in the gutter of the second picture, this roof is more than two months old. Unless it is from roofing activities.
The guys are right, layers are verified at the rake.
Seen to many that remove one layer at the eave. People do that on a hip roof and hard to tell that they concealed one layer.
It usually creates a small dip in the roof shingles when they do that though. :slight_smile:

I am new at this, so I would like to know:
Does it really matter the age of the roof with all of the other problems present?
Wouldn’t you just report on all of those items and not worry about disagreeing with the agent?

Hi. Phillip, hope you weekend has been good.

My opinion only, I don’t give a hoot on how old a roof is. I have personnally seen roofing shingles last 30 years manufactured 30 years ago.
You inspect the roof and report on the condition at the time of the inspection.
Report on wear, granule loss, curling, cracking, etc., and general condition.
Layers of roofing is also reported, and I always note in the report about the ramifications on multiple layers, on how it affects the life expectancy of the new shingle warranty.
Of course the ventilation will also contribute to the life span of the shingle and multiple layers do not help.

:):smiley:

This is something I NEVER worry about. :smiley: I do my job, the agent does theirs. My concern is identifying the condition of the property and reporting it as accurately as possible to the person(s) whose name is on our inspection agreement.

Thanks Marcel, Great Weekend.
Thanks for the help guys.