Roof climbing 101

I pulled a Clark Griswald once myself. It was a flat roof. My ladder was a foot or so short so I pulled myself up to look over the edge. As I did my foot hit the side of the ladder and the ladder slid sideways. I hung there for a sec thinking ‘this is going to hurt’
I saw the ladder hadn’t fallen but was caught up in a tree branch so I hand walked along the edge til my foot located the ladder. I straightened the ladder a bit then climbed on it and pulled it straight enough to climb down. Just as I got down the clients showed up. I was glad they hadn’t witnessed it. My arms ached for days.
I have no problem now saying in my report that the roof could not be accessed for safety reasons lol

Excellent, Russell!:slight_smile:

SAFE ROOFING INSPECTION AND LADDER PRACTICES ARE ABUNENT IN INACHI.
I always tie my ladders wrung of rail to a gutter nail. No gutters. I will lean it up a soide wall in chinmey shoulder. If not I have spikes I drive in the ground and with my ladder angled to spikes to ether side in front and the the ladder like I was tieing down a tent.
If you felel unsafe then I would no suggest you go past the eave.

It helps to have the right equipment

Sumostance

64587_10151233076404508_1413414927_n.jpg

John…where did you buy that, I looked on the Little Giants website, didn’t see the folding Sumostance.

I bought one at a home show a couple years back, those LG’s are nice.

Dale,

Try here. http://www.eladders.com/little-giant/little-giant-sumostance/sumostance-1a-w-o.html

When it comes to inspecting roofs, I try my best to get up on the roof and walk but if it does not look safe to me - I dont climb. Safety first!

I use ladder standoff and just like Robert, I tie my ladder to the gutters with a bungee cord before I do anything. I am also thinking about ordering one of these kits and use it with a 25 ft painters pole. This way I will at least be able to see if I cant climb the roof.

I like the Sumostance thingy, is there something like this available for regular extension ladders?

Thanks

It is interesting to note that falls account for the largest total number of occupational deaths each year in the US.

However, electrocutions are the second highest leading cause of fatalities.

How many inspectors dont walk roofs, but will and do access energized electrical panels?

Risk to some is just an ordinary day for others.

Excellent work Charley. I would hire you any day for an inspection!

http://www.littlegiantladder.com/little-giant/darkhorse.html

http://www.littlegiantladder.com/little-giant/type-1a-select-step-fiberglass.html

WOW! You just made me a very happy person. Thanks! I love the remote clicker!

Thank you William I would hire you as an electrcal consultant any day. Matter of fact find some big electrical IR jobs in Ky and we can team up

Get that ladder off the gutter John Your gonna mash it:p:D

Russell, why don’t you write a book on home inspection.

No prob. I was also looking into buy one of these but it just does not seem very practical.

I looked into the eye stick when I first got started, it was way too expensive. The one you posted is much more cost effective.

I use a $50 30 foot window washers pole with tripod mounted up top and set it on high def video.
Far superior to still shots.

When Nick trotted out the expensive contraption at the boost meeting everyone in my chapter looked at me to say something…lol.

Procam.jpg

Procam.jpg

Procam.jpg

I walk 12/12 pitches all day long because over 90% of the time I find issues which can not be observed from the ground or with a set of binoculars. I usually time it so that my clients shows up when I am on the roof…it simply validates the thoroughness I provide for what I charge.

I do find it interesting how many inspectors wont walk roofs. As others have said that is what you are being hired to do. So many around here dont walk tile roofs and drive cars as an inspection vehicle instead of a truck so they can barely carry a ladder. But I guess when your in an area like ours that has a large number of tile roofs you dont even need a ladder. First thing most of our clients ask when they call is do you inspect the roof, our responce is “Yes”. You cant inspect a roof from the ground.

Wow, a 12/12 pitch!
We may debate what the dividing line is between a safely accessible roof and an unsafe roof to walk but I think you’re definitely over the line. Is that approved by your insurance co?