Roof climbing 101

Don’t try this at home unless your name is Charley had one this morning that was a B****. I would have missed some good stuff. If I had passed on this roof and I almost did, I got to thinking I know Gary would have climbed it so I will also:p took the ladder up to the second story gable and made the transition to the ridgeline that flat area of the roof just could not be seen from anywhere but on the roof. Nails through the rolled asphalt and a leaking chimney flashing was the prize

Maybe you ought to go ahead and pick one out:

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6136/5940071562_a7a013b640_z.jpg

I am still laughing you absolutely cracked me up you need to stop that:D

Been there done that and later wondered why I was so brave and foolish .

Dunce.jpg

Its only foolish if you let it become that way. Its kinda like riding horses if you don’t know what you are doing better to stay on the ground

I would go on that one also Charley and exactly like you did it. One foot on one side and one on the other. However I would never recommend any new Inspector not comfortable with roofs to do this at any cost.
I was shocked when my client could not get the AHJ on has flat roof.LOL
In your second picture I would have raised the wrung so it locks on the ridge if possible.

All it takes is once.

Meaning what?

All it takes is once to fall off?

All it takes is once to get sued for being lazy and not walking a roof?

All it takes is once for you not to walk a roof and have people talk about your poor performance?

All it takes is once for you to do this and save your client a ton of money and heartache?

All it takes is once to give a little more than the competition to make yourself stand out and become a Home Inspector who actually makes money that he can live a nice lifestyle?

All it takes is once for a client to bad mouth you when his roof and chimney leak 2 days after purchasing it because you said “I do not walk roofs” call the applicable tradesman for further evalaution and setermine the condition of the roof (This trying to make the profession of Home Inspector Obsolete).

All it takes is once can apply to everything in life…All it takes is once for you to get out of your car and a sattelite to fall from the sky and land on you…

All it takes is once…

Its all about finding and manageing your limations I just have not found mine yet. I live for the day and tomorrow be damed I will handle it tomorrow:D

Interesting approach. I would have gone from the lower level to the front valley. But as long as you can navigate up and back safely, don’t damage the house and don’t miss the defects, all is good.

New inspectors need to work up slowly. It’s easier to go up a roof than down. I remember finding myself on some that were pretty dicey to get off of.

some rough looking fascia board, new siding must be hiding some really good observations !

What did your free infrared service show…
those pics are missing from this post…
:slight_smile:

Gary -

I know I don’r have the training, skill or expertise that a lot of the other guys on here do, and yes when I was 30 and the dumbest turd on the block I used to pull my van up to a tall 2 story or 3 story / put the LG on the van roof, get up to the dormer gable … pull the 5’ step ladder up to the dormer gable … then get up on the widows walk, find a loose flashing OR nail puncture … PUFF my chest out, and brag at the next dumb turd monthly home inspection meeting what a BIG boy was I.

Then in 2 years we had 5 good inspectors either fall, the ladder collapsed, or similar crap and put them in the hospital / killed one AND I re-thunk my methodology.

God made sign trucks for a reason. For over 11 years if I came on one like Charley’s and I could not access off my 12’ LG - I would say …

The roof was not fully visible due to the height and type or design (our inspection is very limited).

The roof, its materials, decking, flashings, protrusions and other components could not be safely inspected. It is recommended that the roof be re-inspected by either a professional roofer OR we can retain a lift truck to raise us to the roof line to examine it at a cost of $250. This should be done prior to closing.

We recommend that you verify the insurability and acceptability of the roofing with your insurance company prior to closing escrow.

Although its only been 35 years without a roof problem, I’m sure its gonna bite me any day

I remember all to well shingling roofs twice that tall, all part of the job, some can do it safely, others can’t or don’t want to, those folks should be doing something different, something they could walk to work, wear a padded suit or body armor in the event they tripped on a heaved sidewalk or similar.

Many are simply afraid of heights, prolly should of went into a different business, rather than inspecting only parts of the building their comfortable with.

Makes a big difference if you were brought up building homes, commercial buildings too…I imagine a guy who had folks which owned a Steakhouse could probably cook a streak better than others.

I could also imagine a guy who went to school, graduated from college with honors, but still couldn’t tie his shoe without falling down and breaking an arm or other limbs.

Some have, some don’t. The ones who do usually are very successful in the this business, inspecting the systems and components they were hired to inspect.

If someone is not comfortable walking a roof, they should invest in OSHA approved gear to do so, even it takes all day.

I know if I hired someone to inspect my home, I would expect him to also inspect what is covering it, even if he had to rent a F-ing Cherry-Picker if there were locations not visible from a ladder or using binoculars from a short distance while on the ladder.

Interesting discussion on roof accessing and walking. Amazing the differences. There are some days I will access a roof, some days I won’t. Yesterday was one of the won’ts.

2 story clerestory roof. Pouring rain. Wet heavy moss at the bottom edge and in the keyway of almost every shingle. All covered with wet dead fir needles. I hit the lower section around the lone chimney and lower skylights. Upper section was viewed from the ground with my waterproof Zeiss 15x45 binoculars. Welcome to my world.

very varying repsonses. Much to the dismay of the people who learned construction the hard way vs those who took a 60 hour class and now are “home inspectors”… Im just saying

All i can say be smart, be safe.

Ive said this before and will say it again, don’t be a dumb a@@. I could care less who walks a roof and who doesn’t. I will walk almost anything where others will not. Know your limitations. I see a bunch of guys here trying to prove to another inspector how good they are because they walk the unwalkables. Who cares, I certainly don’t.

Roofing houses put me through college. You should use crepe-soled shoes, which are not made anymore. I have seen roofers these days strapping thick foam rubber to their shoes, so they can stick to steep slope comp roofs.

As anyone grows older, vertigo sets in. This is why many men over 50 cannot drive race cars fast, climb mountains, run fast, drink many beers in one setting, etc. Young guys may be brave, but without the right equipment…

If you get dizzy, time to quit walking on roofs. A man needs to know his limiitations. If not, once is all you have. Is it worth the chance?

When I see something like this its enough for me to warrant roofer’s repairs without me walking on the roof.:mrgreen:

Damaged shingles.JPG