Roof question

I have seen some lower priced and generic off name brands of supposed ice and water shield materials, which were nothing other than a glorified silica sand coated base felt paper.

The adhesion qualities of most of the brands are far inferior to the Grace Ice and Water Shield. I would not be surprised in the least, if the nail holes have not been sealed by the elasticity, or lack thereof, of the product used.

The sure seal technology, does not offer a water-tight seal, but just more adhesive strength for wind blow off.

Water flowage can go backwards under the shingles by cappilary action, thus finding the nail penetration holes and will leak all over.

It sounds as if they “Added” a gable vent to the attic environment, which minorly be a concern due to the short circuiting ventilation theory. I highly doubt that to be very practicle though, since there is such a minimal attic cavity on a 2/12 pitch to begin with.

Ed

Ventilation was all there for original roof as sated by owner.

I could not verify ice gaurd used by installer, it very well could have been a generic brand.
I did recommend evaluation by a qualified roofing contractor for necessary repairs.

Nothing under a 3 pitch should have shingles on it, is the MFG. going to warranty it?

MFG has on its website, owenscorning http://www.owenscorning.com/around/roofing/pdfs/duration_install.pdf , page 3, that you can go as low as 2/12. I would never do this myself.