Shingles on a low pitch roof

How are you guys writing up shingles installed on a low pitch roof or 2/12 or less? I was not able to determine what type of underlayment or how it was installed.

Well, with these links, I would think that you could come up with your own original narrative.

http://www.gaf.com/warranties_technical_documents/steep_slope_technical_advisory_bulletins/english_bulletins/shingle_application_on_low_slopes_2_12_to_4_12_steep_slope_technical_point_tab_r_2011_127.pdf

:slight_smile:

Now Marcel, I think you are just asking a little too much here… :-0

Well, I didn’t think I was.;):slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply but I should have written my question more clear. How do advise you client in a situation like this not being able to verify if the under layment was done proper or not? Just note it in the report stating the observation and there may be a higher potential for a roof leak or have further evaluated by a roofing contractor. The reason I ask this is because I believe there is a low potential for a problem to develop in this particular situation and do not want to waste their time dealing with a roofing contractor.

One of the biggest things I struggle with in report writing is how to state a potential problem due to an incorrect install and especially an install that I can’t verify. We see so many things done wrong or poorly in a home and many of them will never cause a problem and some of them are not worth correcting. Its a judgement call on our part.

Report what you see and don’t see.
Its not yours to judge, you just give your client the information. Its up to them and there judgement to do with it as they see fit.

That’s what I do.

If something is installed incorrectly why do you struggle with potential problems. It needs to be replaced and installed correctly. Why would you write anything else.

If you can’t “verify” it is wrong, then you have nothing to write.
If it is an “incorrect install” then you should be able to verify why it is incorrect and then, make the proper recommendation.

Every single item in a home can be a “potential problem”…it is just a matter of when. :wink:

If you are suspicious that the shingles were done incorrectly but cannot verify it then it is time to say so. Don’t beat around the bush.
The roof pitch was identified as a 2/12 pitch. This is considered to be a low sloping roof and requires special consideration when installing shingles. The installation of a under lament could not be verified. Recommend speaking to the seller or have a qualified roofing contractor verify the installation.

Pete …

Lets be real simple here. Get out your CodeCheck / Look under composition shingles and see how low a pitch they can go down to (minimum acceptable slope).

Then read your question again. If the slope is at the minimum or below, report it and recommend correction OR replacement … Then move along.

YOU have no need to try and determine IF it might OR might not become an issue.

Home Inspection is REALLY simple if you let it be.

Q … Is it right OR wrong?. If its wrong AND me don’t report on it AND buyer comes back in 6 months or so AND has a problem with it … Do I like them well enough to wanta pay to correct it BECAUSE it was too much trouble for me to call it out as wrong?

2 in 12 is definitely too low slope for shingles, most manufacturers don’t recommend anything under 4 in 12.

They used the wrong roofing material for that roof.

As not meeting the manufacturer’s recommended installation instructions and having a much greater chance of leakage than a low-slope roof with a properly-installed roof covering material. I believe IRC is 2 1/2 &12 and very few (if any) manufacturers recommend less than that.
If there’s a valley, the general rule of thumb is to go up 1 inch of rise per lineal foot (as in 3 1/2 per foot instead of 2 1/2). You can say this in your report but recommend confirmation by a qualified contractor since confirmation will require identifying the shingle manufacturer and model and researching the installation requirements.

I usually state that shingles should not have been used on low slope roof. I then go on to state that the only real solution is to reroof with the proper type of roofing material for low slope roofs. Pretty easy stuff.

Oops:
Between 4&12 and 2&12 roof pitch requires 19-inch over lap of underlayment, which in effect, doubles the underlayment thickness. 4&12 and above only requires 2-inch overlap of underlayment.

That’s IRC and most major shingle manufacturers.