Roof shingle question

Can someone tell me what the cause of this is? I have my own answer but I just want to see what others thought. Any roofing contractors out there to answer this?.

I can’t see the issue.

The shingle the arrow is pointing at. It’s tented upwards.

Possibly the felt is buckled.
Was is soft when stepped on?

NACHI

I can’t make a competent answer on this one from only 1 picture.
By looking at the plumbing vent I am guessing this is an older house?
What does it look like up close?
Is the area weak or spongy when touched or stepped near?
What does it look like from the attic side?

That is the only picture I have. The home owner sent this to me stating that a roofer said that the “roof has a bubble in it” and “wood is warped in the attic”. When he first sent it to me it looked like a roof pop, but I’ll have to go and check it for him, He may have just misunderstood the roofer and I don’t want to undermine the roofer if the message wasn’t received clearly…

No. The home owner sent this pic to me stating that a roofer said the “roof has a bubble in it” and “wood is warped in the attic”. When he first sent it to me it looked like a roof nail pop, but I’ll have to go and check it for him, He may have just misunderstood the roofer and I don’t want to undermine the roofer if the message wasn’t received clearly…

Yep, tough to call sight unseen. My initial guess would be something happening from the attic side. Maybe some type of do it yourself rafter bracing that has slipped???

1 Like

Usually a wrinkle in the underlayment.

1 Like

tell him to get a second opinion from another roofing contractor. Will you charge him if you cannot figure it out?

1 Like

Agree…^^^^^

1 Like

Or worse, up rise in the sheathing joint corner.

1 Like

Good point, Marcel…:thinking:

Sometimes. You can tell which by feel.

And sometimes you have to go in the attic to find out.
Like this one.

DSCN0752 DSCN0772 ![DSCN0772|640x480]
DSCN0775

2 Likes

Nice pictures, Marcel. :ok_hand:

No H-clips…Huh?

My guess would be delaminating plywood

I think Marcel has it. Improperly installed sheathing and potentially missing or improperly installed H clip.

David, I see you’re from Oklahoma. Are you not familiar with the lead boots that we use for vent flashing here?