Roof type on wind mit?

Haven’t run into this recently and just wanted to make sure I check this correctly. Wall between the units goes completely up and through roof. The unit I’m doing for the client is the end unit. My first reaction is to call it a hip roof. Would this be correct?



The underwriter will disagree. It is gable on both sides. I know it doesn’t make much sense because the roof edge is protected, but that is how they see it.

No - not correct. It is a gable or other, other perhaps as it is a reinforced end wall in a multi-unit dwelling depending on the year built. I would rate it as a Gable with pics and narrative description.
Hope this helped.

I would definitely call it a gable.

Okay, thanks guys. Gable it is. Just out of curiosity, if the exposed end of this unit were hip, would that change it?


It is other. If it was an interior unit, without the gable in the center it could be hip. You measure all roof shapes, including the gable down the center, even though it is only two feet high.

My understanding is this (and if I’m wrong, please let me know)…

The wall between the units that extends through the roof is NOT calculated as part of the “total roof system perimeter” or the “total length of non-hip features” (<-- this is where I may be wrong) IF there is not any kind of gable feature on the other side of that wall. So, with this in mind…

Even if the end of the unit was hip, you’d still have the gable feature created by the two different levels of the roof. You’d still have to consider the gable feature when calculating Roof Geometry and it would likely end up being “Other”.

IF the entire roof was one level (the gable feature was not there) AND the end of the unit was hip then you could make a good argument that the unit’s Roof Geometry should be “Hip”.

For “other” you measure all roof shapes, for perimeter you measure the perimeter only.

Total length of non-hip features: ______ feet; Total roof system perimeter: _______ feet

The form does not distinguish, floors, height, down the middle or masonry gable end units.

Some will disagree but this is how most of the classes and manuals are written. I also believe that this was the intention when the form was developed.

I understand what you’re saying John but, isn’t the “gable” down the center part of the unit next door (to the left). It isn’t part of the end unit which I inspected since that is the dividing wall. That roof to the left does not belong to the end unit I inspected. That’s what has me confused I guess.



I think I agree with this statement of yours Michael.


“OTHER” and pitch the masonry gable end in your notes :slight_smile: