Sagging garage crack

Hi All,
I’m looking to buy a house and found this crack in the center of a two car garage.
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/723/img1841f.th.jpghttp://img193.imageshack.us/img193/5388/img1843er.th.jpg
I suspect this is a typical crack from sagging of some sort, however I just don’t want problems out of it. I’m not concerned about the aesthetics, but not really interested in structural problems or costly repairs.

Should I expect this crack to continue to grow, or is this one that might appear and then stops once it’s settled in? I’m guessing it to be ~1/4" wide at the widest spot over the center of the 2 car garage opening.

The house is built in 2006. If you notice in one of the pictures, the crack is wide at the bottom, goes right through the bricks, and is headed toward a window. A bathroom (specifically the bathtub) and some closets are located at/near this spot on the 2nd floor if that’s of interest.

Is this something that should get immediate attention, and if so, what sort of repairs would fix something like this?

Eddy, without seeing everything else, I can’t tell you a whole lot about that. Their may be some insights I could make, but if you are in the middle of a transaction…why not have a home inspector evaluate this item? Have you sought the services of a qualified home inspector?

If you’re within a half hour of Lancaster CA… give me a call :slight_smile: if not, maybe look here for a home inspector

I agree Tim, the whole picture is required to even attempt an opinion on what caused it.

Foundation, geographic area, wall components, size of steel brick lintel, brick control joints, framing, etc. :slight_smile:

Words of wisdom for sure, Marcel!

Get a Mason to look at it, in Person. :smiley:

Why, when you can do it yourself. Just need to see the whole picture. :slight_smile:

Can not be done over the internet, can’t be diagnosed by Pictures. :smiley:

And it sure as heck can not be repaired over the Internet. :smiley:

Brian, it was meant to mean the Inspector himself that has the full picture at hand on site.:slight_smile:

hahahahah, now I get it. :smiley:

Eddy

Your photos are consistent with a sagging lintel (the supporting steel angle iron) or a missing lintel. Upon closer examination of your photo the top of the door frame looks as if it is sagging under the keystone. Since the brick over the door is not arched the keystone is only for looks, it provides no structural support.

Stretch a string from corner to corner at the top of the garage door frame. You should be able to see the sag if it exists.

Thanks for the replies all! I’m in Gwinnett Co. Ga. and will be getting the services of a home inspector once the bank approves the home for sale (it’s a short sale); so I’m not yet obligated to anything at the moment. This is a potential home, it does not have a contract on it yet. I’m hoping to weed through homes with obvious problems so that in the end the home inspection will hopefully be boring for the inspector :slight_smile:

I’ll apologize for my pics in advance, no need to tell me that a MS Paint sketch isn’t the same as standing in front of it, but maybe it’ll give you a slight bit of context.
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/52/201012131001.png

I’ll check for the sag with a string. If the lintel is improper (damaged, sized wrong, etc.) or even missing, how serious of a repair is that and any realistic idea what the consequences are if it’s not done? Is this something I can repair myself if I’m a somewhat adventurous DIY’er?

Thanks for the replies! The home is not yet under contract, but it’s one I’m considering. I’ll definitely get a home inspector (I’m in Gwinnett Co. GA) to look the home over before anything is final, my intention here was to weed through obvious problems to hopefully make the inspection in the end… boring.

I’ll apologize in advance for the crappy sketch, I’m aware that it can’t replace standing in front of the issues and seeing the surrounding, but maybe it’ll just give a little bit of perspective:

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/52/201012131001.png

By mechgt at 2010-12-13

Assuming the lintel is the issue, is this something that a DIYer can manager, or is this a heavy duty repair requiring special equipment?

Eddie

If the problem is the lintel then it is not a DIY job.

There is also another possibility…If there is a steel lintel of the correct size the wooden beam or framing it is bolted to may not be strong enough. Either way its beyond DIY and many handy-man repair companies. This would take the a well qualified brick mason along with a good contractor if the wood framework is at fault.

Randy is correct, it can get rather expensive in repairs… any estimates are just that…if the garage door header (usually an LVL or Glulam) is not properly sized than it can run well over $5000.00 in repairs. This is not a DIY by any means.

Jeff

Thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking for.