Sealed attic access

Originally Posted By: rkulla
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

If the access is sealed=sheetrocked, taped & textured do you cut the seal? I have broken the seal a few times but think what if the buyer backs out. I could be stuck fixing it. Attic access needs to be accessible right??

Rex Kulla

Custom Home Inspections

Maple Grove, MN

(612) 799-3093

Originally Posted By: aslimack

If its sealed “permantly”, no. Permanantly as in drywalled, taped, etc.

If it is cheesily tape sealed to keep heat from escaping, yes after asking. (if the seller is home) Carefully if the homeowner is not home.

If it is hermetically sealed, as in, the one time use saran wrap like weather barrier. I will only after the O.K.

I’ve only run into one that had such a perfect (temporary) seal that i felt like i was “damaging” it when carefully removing it to get in the attic. The lady must have spent 20 minutes with a hair dryer shrink wrapping it to size. I bet i spent 5 minutes carefully trying to remove it so as to be able to somewhat return it to its former glory.

Adam A Plus

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

or where entry could cause damage or pose a safety hazard to the inspector in his or her opinion.

B. To move or touch insulation.

C. To move or touch vapor retarders.

D. Break or otherwise damage the surface finish or weather seal on or around access panels and covers.

For sealed access points, I generally note the area as not inspected with a recommendation that the area be made accessible prior to closing.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: aslimack

I forgot to note that the lady did give me the o.k. It was just such a work of art that i felt obligated to try my best to replace it as was. Doesn’t mean i borrowed her hair dryer…

Adam A Plus

Originally Posted By: pdacey

I had one a couple of weeks ago that was caulked and painted shut. There was no one there to represent the seller so I told the buyer that I couldn’t just “break” into the attic. I disclaimed the attic and anything that could be up there.

Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: dbowers

I’m not in the moving or breaking business. Besides that its eating into MY TIME and TIME IS MONEY. If its not readily accessible we move on to something else. If they want it inspected, all the buyer, seller, or realtor have to do while I’m going on with the rest of my inspection - is make it accessible.

If so, when I get done with the other things I'll look at it - whatever it is.

Then when I'm done looking - they can put it back in place. That way I'm not bogged down moving things or trying to get them back the way they were to start with AND if something got broken, it was not I.

Originally Posted By: rkulla

Thanks guys

Rex Kulla

Custom Home Inspections

Maple Grove, MN

(612) 799-3093

Originally Posted By: jpeck

rkulla wrote:
Attic access needs to be accessible right??

Yes, if head room in the attic is 24" or 30", depending on the local code, the attic needs to be accessible.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida