Sealing Exposed Nail Heads

Sealing is a very good idea to keep from leaking. But also it helps prevent condensation on the nails from forming. The shingle nail is supposed to penetrate the roof sheeting by doing this you have two temperatures outside of roof and in the attic. Just like the old aluminum windows it will condensate due to thermal break by sealing with a caulking it helps prevent the condensation. It is not a big thing but over time it can cause problems.

Ed… This is a simple & easy “repair”!

Join NACHI! :stuck_out_tongue:

PS:
As far as I know ALL of your posts have been “visible” from the second that you posted them.

Do you think different?

I agree. That is how I was taught by the old timer I worked with. And now that I am the old timer it is what I tell anyone that asks or that I see leaving the heads exposed. I mean really it takes all of 5 minutes. :slight_smile:

This wasn’t meant for you Ed, but for those non-members who don’t seem to have much interest in inspection and who’ve spent their time on the boards posting nastiness and encouraging disharmony and acrimony.
Your posts are very helpful and appreciated. Always glad to read your contributions. Thanks for posting!

-Kenton

Thanks.

I just submitted my request to Chris to be added back in as a regular un-moderated member.

By the way, on some posts, it has been as short as 2 hours or so and others took 2-3 days and several still have not become visible after that time period, if I recall correctly since the messages typed get lost in the shuffle after a while.

Ed

Ed,

I also submitted your name for “helpful” status.

your input is welcome and apreciated.

Agree, but as the sealer get older and dries out water seapage can occur; so maintain that roof…

I haven’t! I spent 30 years as a carpenter and contractor fixing things. Now… I never touch a thing! If it’s little crap it isn’t worth writing up. That’s not the service I provide.

When I see exposed nails and the roof is fairly new, I tell the customer that they can be spotted with mastic (although I do like the idea of covering with granules) but it may need to be monitored and repaired again. I usually recommend as a better method, removing the nail and sealing the hole in the bottom shingle with mastic. That keeps the mastis out of sunlight and when the upper shingle is pressed down, it squeezes up through the hole to seal the top at the same time.

Without the sunlight exposure, the mastic will last for years.