Second trips for not my mistake

Haha, you guys and gals are all great. I appreciate the input and have made some changes based on what I’ve read.

:grinning:

Hey Todd;
Give me an example (or sample) of what is said in your “expectation conversation” please. Sounds like something I would like to add to my preinspection agreement. After all, :alarm_clock: is :moneybag:.

1 Like

A setting expectations conversation is the conversation you have with the client prior to the inspection. It goes over what is and is not included in an inspection, setting expectations, maybe examples of hidden defects, setting expectations, please be sure to have all systems operational, setting expectations, what will happen if a system is found off or not accessible, {return trip fee}setting expectations, contract signing, inspection SOP etc etc. Ive found educating a client as to what to expect stops a lot of issues on the back side.

4 Likes

I agree. I see this as being the job of the list agent to make sure the whole house is accessible. We also send the list agent an email, prior to the inspection, letting them know that we will need access to the house and what items to be especially certain are accessible. I believe our time is just as valuable as the agent’s time. We understand that things happen, but we should absolutely be able to charge for our time. We schedule directly with each party, the buyer, the buyer’s agent and directly with the list agent. Even if the buyer’s agent says they have scheduled with the list agent and we are confirmed, we will still reach out to the list agent to make sure they are aware of when we will arrive. Just yesterday, we arrived at a home where the tenant ignored our knocks because they do not want the house to sell. Our inspector sat there for over an hour trying to get in. When I called the list agent to let her know what was happening, she told us to try the doorknob and if it’s unlocked go on into a home with 2 loose dogs. We did not do that, of course. We have to pay our inspector something for being there for an hour trying to access his job and for the outside inspection he was able to perform. How do we pay our inspectors if we do not charge a return trip fee? Now, we are asked to go back tomorrow. We will be charging a return trip fee and ask that the owner let us in himself or we will not go back.