Re-Inspections

I suppose this is not just a Florida issue, but lately I have had a higher number of re-inspections and it is driving me crazy. My question is how and when do other inspectors charge for re-inspections? Of course if I miss something, I expect to go back and re-inspect at no charge.

I completed an inspection last week w/ buyer and seller present. The seller is also the listing agent. Seller told me that the dishwasher was leaking some time ago but he fixed it. However, at the time of inspection it was unplugged and not working while I was there. I listed on the report as inspected, but not working. The buyer had the realtor call me and ask what I already explained to the buyer in front of the seller at time of inspection that it was not working. I explained that there would be a re-inspection fee and that I would bill the seller but everyone is freaking out. I tried to explain how I bill for my hours and inspections but no one cares and Im the bad guy.:twisted:

I believe that we should be paid for our time - that includes re-inspections. If your have been made out to be the bad guy, I would suggest more effort on your part to effectively manage client and realtor expectations. Effective management of expectations can go a long way in reducing bad experiences for all parties involved in the transaction.

I agree with you and feel I handle myself in a very professional manner. Not sure how I could have set the expectation for a re-inspection without knowing before hand.

I was not implying that you did not handle yourself professionally. I was suggesting that establishing re-inspection policies in advance and conveying those policies effectively to all parties before a situation arises is much easier to do than explaining re-inspection policies once the need arises.

Does not matter how you handle it. The realtors will always expect you to come back for free, and they will tell you that their inspector does not charge for re-inspections. Have run into this many times. I always put it right in my report that if I have to return to re-inspect or inspect something that was not working at the time of inspection, that there will be a charge. Does not always work out the way you want it to. I also will not do any work for those realtors again.

I charge on a case by case basis. Keep in mind factors are what are you re-inspecting, is it easy to get to and how far are you driving to get there, also are you nearby with another inspection? I have not done one for less than $100.

FREE Ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaa Never unless I know I am wrong. If i do a wind mit and they think I am wrong I go back and get paid upon arrival if I am wrong I hand the money back. I have only had to hand the money back once. I admit every time I am wrong but will not go back free just because someone thinks I may be. If I do not get paid upon arrival the chances are they will say oh well thanks for coming back but I am not paying you again.

THAT DOES NOT EVER HAPPEN TO ME :slight_smile:

FREE Ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaa Never unless I know I am wrong. If i do a wind mit and they think I am wrong I go back and get paid upon arrival if I am wrong I hand the money back. I have only had to hand the money back once. I admit every time I am wrong but will not go back free just because someone thinks I may be. If I do not get paid upon arrival the chances are they will say oh well thanks for coming back but I am not paying you again.

THAT DOES NOT EVER HAPPEN TO ME :slight_smile:

There is a simple way around all of the BS…

I send the LISTING agent an email, BEFORE the inspection to tell them about to have all the “little things” repaired BEFORE I arrive. Things like exercise the windows, replace bulbs, light pilot lights etc…

So when they call and complain, I let them know they were notified well before the inspection that I WOULD be calling these items out as deficient if they are not prepared for inspection. Not my fault, I even mention to FORWARD this email to the seller.

Seems to stop alot of BS and I not as many burnt out light bulbs and non lit pilot lights…

I then look as and say those four magic words…“I told you so”…

You would not believe how many listing agents are THANKFUL for the email. This way if the seller is not prepared, then once again. I told you! If you want to be complacent, then that is fine. But be prepared for the defects to be called out, as I said they would in the email.

Add to your agreement that the fee quoted is for 1 trip to the property and what your minimum re-inspection fee is. In the summary of your report, list what the actual fee will be for that property if a re-inspection is needed.

I do exactly what Russ does. Our pre-inspection package includes of course a copy of my license, a cancellation and re-inspection fee schedule, a confirmation of the inspection that goes to the buyers agent, the selling agent and to the client as well as our pre-inspection agreement and the Florida life expectancy chart. The pre-inspection agreement includes the date and time at the inspection will occur and a list of items that describes how the property should be prepared for the inspection. Covering yourself in the front end and will save you heartburn on the back end.