Seeking advice from the sewer scope professionals

I dont perform sewer scopes. My own drain line gets backed up every so often so I bought a cheap camera and would appreciate opinions on some photos. Different plumbers have thought this is Orangeburg or roots causing the problem after snaking the line. By looking at the photos I’m thinking they are both correct.

Roots and dirt/debris/soil visible.

Time to start digging…

1 Like

Those images are tough for quality…but definitely looks like some serious roots. Normally they are not so thick. You could try Root-X every month or so and it may help eventually. Normally in WA, we will see a lot smaller of a root penetration that looks more like finer tentacles of roots. Root-X works pretty well on those.
For the pipe, it is really hard to tell with that quality of image. I would not be able to determine if that was Orangeburg or not. The internal ribs or rings look like corrugated in image 1, and if that is the case, it is 100% wrong.

I was wondering the same thing about those rings. I never heard of corrugated being used as a waste pipe though, just for drainage. Maybe something I don’t know about or just not typical?

Thanks

I see a white sewer mouse.

Blockquote

Likely those are cuts in the pipe from a previous homeowner snaking the line with a cutting blade.

With a better video or full video, it’s tough to say it’s definitely 100% Orangeburg, but it certainly looks like it’s likely Orangeburg pipe. In which case, it needs to be replaced.

Keith without a wider photograph my thought is the ribs are the gasket material between the pipe joints. These are often ribbed on the inside and the outside of the gasket. If the pipes are pulling apart at this joint and revealing the gasket this may be where those tree roots are coming in.

2 Likes