Service hookup, dinged on grounding of meter box

Originally Posted By: Russell Frame
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Had the power company out to take a look at my prep for a hookup, he had a couple small things he wanted changed.

One I really dont get.

I have my main panel grounded to the rod, as one would expect. I also have the ground lug in the meter box grounded. This is normal per all the drawings I have seen. But the installer said I had to take out the meter grounding connection.

Am I wrong that the meter isn't normally grounded? If not why is there a box grounding lug?

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

You had a situation where parallel neutral current was flowing in the ground electrode conductor

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

“If not why is there a box grounding lug?”

It is the utility's call.

Whatever they say is the law of the land regarding their equipment.

The NESC not the NEC. But it is funny that they (their website) refer to the NEC!

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: dbozek

The meter can be considered to be the first means of disconnection, however, such is impractical and therefore, the main panel, or where the main breaker is located should be where the egc and bonding occurs first. However, I always run a separate egc to the meter base for here in Ohio, some municipalities require it.

If in fact the meter can has a disconnecting means in it, other than removing the meter, it then shall be considered the first means of disconnection for power and the egc and bonding shall occur there first. The panel inside then shall be considered a subpanel and a egc shall be run to it, but the neutral bus would not be bonded to the subpanel enclosure. A separate buss bar, bonded to the panel, would be used to terminate the egc and all ground type connections from branch circuits.

--
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they should and could do for themselves. Abraham Lincoln