Shiner Nails- code violation?

I know this has been discussed many times before- but, I am out in the field and don’t have reference books with me. So- anyone know what the code section is that addresses “shiner nails” at the roof deck to truss connection and the need to remove them? Looking for 2010 FBC and/or APA reference language to cite. If anyone has the relevant sections handy, please post.

Thanks,

We are not code enforcers.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention -however irrelevant to my original post. If you don’t know the answer, maybe you could sit back and watch and maybe someone that does will provide useful information that you, I, and all interested inspectors could use. Sorry - don’t mean to be offensive- but maybe we could learn something here.

They all should be backed out and re-nailed .
When I see this I use my Zircon to see if it has been re-nailed .
No shiners are allowed .
Is that better ?
Now say your sorry !.. Just jokin’

Yeah, that’s reality, a framer backing out a missed roof deck nail and re-nailing it.

I do not believe the code actually addresses the issue - it states how roof decking should be attached regarding spacing and fastener specifications. I would think that the local jurisdiction is making an interpretation of the rule. Since a miss is not compliant

I build a few homes a year and all the building inspectors don’t want to see shiners.

Every home must have a code violation. One time saw a whole rafter with every nail missed down one side. Did not want to photograph that.

That was because there wasn’t a good foreman on the job.
I get gigged, but not very often.

I agree, building inspectors fail sheathing inspections because it is assumed that the spacing is not to code if a shiner is present, not because of the existence of the missed nail. Most framers know this and avoid it by knocking the nails back up and renail into the member. It is not a code violation to have a shiner present (if renailed), and they will certainly not remove them on a re-roof job.

I’m there on every inspection. Simply because I don’t need a fail. I need to keep moving on.
When this happens I pull out my laser pointer and shown the inspector that it has been addressed.
My crew knows that shiners are not allowed .
Back them out and nail again.

I gotta tell you Roy - you appear to be the exception to the rule.

I don’t think so .
Every fail cost me money and I hate loosing money .

I have seen 3 or 4 trusses in a row that had misses all the way down, and this was a recent reroof. I downgraded the Wind Mit and had the client contact their roofer. Sometimes you just can’t let it go…

I am sure the Roy is talking about new construction work. It is not that hard to back out the shiners when there is no ceiling yet. This has been the norm for last 10 years or more.

I wouldn’t either.
For the life of me I can’t figure out how you guys can make a decent buck on FL wind mits.
Just getting into the attic is worth $200 plus for me.
Up here in N Florida inspectors and doing them for 100 and less.
They can have them.

Yep !

No where in the code does it say, “Nail into thin air”. Ask the local code official, as I have. Sunrise, Tamarac, Coral Springs (inspected a house for his son), Coconut Creek, just to name a few, all said, the nails are to be removed and then, new nails installed.

There isn’t a “code reference” to what has to be done, with the exception of the nail has to be in the truss, if it isn’t, obviously, it is a code violation as well as a violation of the APA deck nailing guidelines.

Here is one in Tamarac http://www.magnuminspections.com/PDF/Roof_sample_2012.pdf.
Those strips that are torn in the tar paper are how the nails were removed and re-nailed…not my first choice of how to do it…

On the roof in Tamarac above, I grabbed some of the nails and they felt like loose teeth. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s similar to the strap / clip requirement on a reroof. When the code changed in 2001 I understood it to require retrofitting; I saw one that was reroofed with a permit last week that still had 1 and 2 nails in the strap. I’ve seen many since 2001 that are still without straps.

The homeowner couldn’t understand why I marked it as toe nail.