Shower Drain

This was a drain from a saecond story shower enclosure, I noticed the ABS stubbed up past the drain collar… Would anyoune be concerned about this?

HPIM3003.JPG

HPIM3003.JPG

does it Drain? and is it on a shower that is used frequently. I would think the water would drain to the sides. and show up somewhere.
I once lived in a place where the drain was draining into the crawl space,was renting a room and the landlord added the bathroom himself I had no idea

Piping should be flush with collar (as stated) or the strainer should be funneling into this pipe.

Looks like residual water might sit in there and grow mold.

Thanks to all, Some good advice… There were no visible stains below the shower in the general area, but I dont want to get a call. Thanks for the added verbage.

This is not normal and a plumber could easily cut this down with a socket saver. As stated here it should be flush and no standing water should remain.

Tony

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=16962&highlight=

Similar link, same scenario. I say report it.:slight_smile:

Thanks James, I did report it and it has been corrected. The plumber told me that it was just a matter of time before that seal busted…

What about on a slab on grade home? Had one today where the drain was above the collar and a good 1/4 inch gap existed around the drain. There was a several inch space I could see into underneath. Water was visibly draining into this void. Where exactly is that water going on a slab on grade home?

To answer your question, In the ground. ha. ha.

Not trying to be smart, just thought it funny.

This may help.

Uniform plumbing code requirements for shower floor and roman tub membranes.
Drains - An approved type drain with sub-drain shall be installed with every such shower membrane. Flange of each sub-drain shall be accurately set exactly level with sloping sub-floor and shall be equipped with a clamping ring or other approved device to make a tight connection between the membrane and the sub-drain. The sub-drain shall have weep holes into the waste line. The drain shall be of such design that there will be not less than 2" depth from the top of the sub-drain flange to top of the strainer. A ring of absorbent material must be placed around the weep holes to keep them open when the finish materials are installed.

Every shower stall installations should have a membrane to protect the subfloor from water infiltration and make for a watertight assembly.

http://www.mustee.com/pdfsidoc/3showerf/SI_190.PDF

Marcel:) :slight_smile: