Siding caulking question.

Yesterday’s inspection.

Would you recommend having the joints caulked? Finishing the report now.

Thanks.

Depends on type… do you think it’s a Hardi Board Cement type?

They say: *James Hardie does not recommend the use of caulk at field butt joints. * They now require the use of a backing at the joints…

You can read more about fiber cement board install requirements here

If it was just plain old fiber board/hard board siding, yes. I recommend caulking joints etc. There some other specific concerns with the myriad of products out there…

Go here lots of info … Roy

Thanks for the quick reply’s

The current install instructions recommend the installation of a piece of flashing at each butt end joint and no caulk. However, this is an older installation obviously without flashing. Caulk is the only practical way to seal it. It needs to be re-caulked. I usually orally tell my clients that it can probably wait till the next re-paint.

FYI:

Just talked to one of the big box stores to confirm what I heard a few days ago…

James Hardie is pulling out of Atlantic Canada…Can’t get their paint to stay on in this climate.

Any other stories to be told???

Info for Canada installations of Hardie lap siding.

[FONT=HelveticaNeueLTStd-LtCn]DO NOT use stain on James Hardie
[/FONT][FONT=HelveticaNeueLTStd-LtCn]® [/FONT][FONT=HelveticaNeueLTStd-LtCn]products. James Hardie[/FONT]

[FONT=HelveticaNeueLTStd-LtCn]products must be painted within 180 days for primed
product and 90 days for unprimed. 100% acrylic topcoats
are recommended. Do not paint when wet. For application
rates refer to paint manufacturers specifications.[/FONT]

[FONT=HelveticaNeueLTStd-LtCn]Back-rolling is recommended if the siding is sprayed.

[FONT=HelveticaNeueLTStd-LtCn][FONT=HelveticaNeueLTStd-LtCn]Terminate non-factory cut edges into trim where possible, and caulk. Color matched caulks are available from your ColorPlus[/FONT][FONT=HelveticaNeueLTStd-LtCn]® [/FONT][FONT=HelveticaNeueLTStd-LtCn]product dealer.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=HelveticaNeueLTStd-LtCn]
http://www.jameshardie.com/pdf/install/hardieplank-hz5-can.pdf:)[/FONT][/FONT]

Can’t get their paint to stay on in this climate.

Apparently the pre-finished panels are having the problems!