Simulated Slate

Originally Posted By: rdawes
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’m inspecting an upscale home tomorrow afternoon that is advertised as having a “simulated slate” roof. I was curious if anyone had done one before and if so, are there any particular items to check for that are special for simulated slate?

I've been to several manufactures web sites to get basic familarity with the material.

Some slopes on this house are quite steep and I won't be walking on those but others would be walkable if it was a standard shingle roof. Is simulated slate in general walkable? Is it more slippery than regular shingles. Can it bear a normal walking load?

Originally Posted By: jnosworthy

It looks and acts a lot like the real thing, except for the perfect uniformity. Same rules apply as for real slate: Don’t walk it unnecessarily. Slippery when wet. If it’s nailed a little too snug, the slate may tip up just a tad and walking on it may be just enough for you to hear that “snap” sound. Copper flashing and copper nails is the only way to go, when you’re talking materials that last this long. Different Mfg’s may say otherwise on the fasteners and flashings allowed.

hope that helps

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

one manufacturer who’s name excapes me, makes an archatectural shingle with a “life time” warrenty that (from a distance) looks alot like slate, but when you get closer you see it’s grainy like shingle. they look like other newer shingles (not 3 tabs) that seem to have 2 layer of differently shaped tabs that don’t line up. hope that helps icon_cool.gif

Thanks gentlemen.

Ron

hay Ron. i found it. the company’s name is GAF materials corparation. the one i refured to is called the Camelot series. they have a web site too.

www.gaf.com the camelot page:http://www.gaf.com/General/GAFMain.asp?WS=GAF&Silo=RES1&App=ROOF&Force=RS_Camelot.html

![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif) just cut and paste that one into your address bar.

Originally Posted By: jnosworthy

Ron,

Now I’ve to ask, between myself and Jay, who has more closely guessed what you actually meant by using the words “high end” and “simulated” in your original question ?? Cause were definately talking about two dissimilar products.

Inquiring minds need to know.

john

John, Jay

The product on the house was not that particular GAF product. It looked very much like real slate but did not feel like it. It was a tad bit pliable but not much. I did not walk the roof as almost all slopes were quite steep. I can imagine that if it was the slightest bit wet that it would be slippery even on a slope that would normally be walkable.

It was very similar to http://www.royalbuildingproducts.com/html/products/roofing/index.html but probably not that brand.

The roof itself was in fine shape. They did have some siding in contact with the roof that had already started to rot from wicking moisture. I theorize that when they replaced the roof that the new one was thicker and they did not trim the siding to maintain adequate clearance.

Thanks for the help.

DING DING DING…John is the winner. icon_cool.gif