roof sneaking

Originally Posted By: dhartke
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Is it ever safe (from a liability standpoint) to walk on a slate, clay tile or cedar shake roof? If so, how?

Dave

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

David,

Welcome to the NACHI board.

In case you didn't know it. This is what will happen when you step on a slate roof.
http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/slaterepair.jpg
http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/TileDamagedRoof.jpg

I'm sure you wouldn't want to pay for these or any similar damages!

As Joe stated, special equipment that is used by professional roofers will be the only way these types of roofs can be evaluated. With brittle and dried out roofing materials, you're better off viewing from the edge, with your ladder. Make sure you advise your client (report) that the roofing materials were only viewed from the edge. If discrepancies are viewed from the edge, then recommend further evaluation by a professional roofer. And always inspect the underside of any discrepancies viewed from the exterior.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Thanks gentlemen. I wasn’t going to try it unless maybe a Canadian replied with a tip on how to rig pillows on the bottom of snow shoes, or similar.

Dave

Originally Posted By: roconnor

dhartke wrote:
Is it ever safe (from a liability standpoint) to walk on a slate, clay tile or cedar shake roof? If so, how?

If you have a parachute that works for a 20' free fall ... sure.

I am used to jumping at 15,000 feet though, which gives ya plenty of time to pull ... ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: psabados

Slip on moss covered shake or even slate. You’ll be down so fast you will only be able to say Oh Sh!!! then splat.

Stay off them unless you have all the right equipment and know what you are doing.

Paul

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Depends on the roof, the slope, etc.

Can't say "don't walk these types of roofs" as an all inclusive statement.

Down here, most of what we have is tile, mostly cement tile with some clay tile. Most inspectors down here walk roofs.

We occasionally have wood shingle / shake roofs and, with care, walk them also.

I think slope is the most critical factor. Ours are seldom over 6:12 or 7:12 (some, but not many).

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

I did fall off one roof several years ago and it wasn’t anything mentioned here. I had just completed my pole barn (no gutters yet) with a steel sheeting roof, 5 in 12 pitch, and the sheeting has a siliconized paint. I walked out on that thing with tennis shoes and didn’t stand a chance. My feet went out from under me like I was running on greased plastic. I barely had time to utter a few profanities before I hit the ground. The rake was a little over 10’. The fall didn’t hurt much but that sudden stop at the bottom rattled me pretty good. I found the only shoes I could use there was a pair of Sorel boots with the gummy soles.

Standing seam steel roofs are beginning to be somewhat popular around here. I'm considering it for my next roof. Other than being slippery does anybody know the pros and cons of these things?

Originally Posted By: bhendry

… Looking for opinions on shoes for walking roofs.

I saw the Cougar Paw shoes in a catalog some time ago and it got me thinking I would be safer to some extent with "special" roof shoes.

After googling around, I saw some negative comments about the Cougar Paws but nothing really positive about any other product.

I make an effort to be careful climbing a roof - any comments about a benefit from special roof shoes?

Bill Hendry
www.HandyHomeInspections.com

Originally Posted By: dvalley

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: bhendry

Methuen, MA currenty 24 F feels like 10 F.

Clermont, FL currently 62 F feels like 62 F.

Differential 38 to 52.

Recommend licensed and qualified meteorologist identify correlation of roofs to mountain climber's spikes and large lips.

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Jerry P is correct as most roofing products in Florida are of a Clay tile variety that I have seen. The pitch is the difference here in New England with the Snow loading factor. Most if not all Tile roofs seen here (Southeastern PA) are not of a walkable pitch.

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: jquinn

William,

FYI: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada currently -21C (-6F) feels like -30C (-20F)

...it's supposed to cool off later today though ![nachi_sarcasm.gif](upload://6HQh6KbNiD73gqTNQInjrR2zeJw.gif) ![nachi_sarcasm.gif](upload://6HQh6KbNiD73gqTNQInjrR2zeJw.gif)

James Quinn
Sherlock home inspections inc.
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

Originally Posted By: rsummers

I will usually get on roofs with a pitch of 6/12 or less. You need be careful no mater what type of roof covering the roof has, I’ve seen people tear up some nice comp roofs in the middle of Summer not knowing how to walk on them.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I generally won’t walk on a tile or slate roof. I don’t like hearing that loud SNAP under my feet on a tile roof, and certainly don’t want to slide down the roof with that loose slate.

Wood shake and comp roofs are ok, long as they are 7/12 or less.

Originally Posted By: dkeough

I ditto Jerry P post.

I've owned my own roofing company for the last 9 years. You have to be careful. I do agree that you should go on the roofs and inspect up to 6/12.
Be careful with the dew in the morning. Good Luck

Originally Posted By: kleonard

of the sheathing… icon_eek.gif It’s always a good idea to know whats supporting your weight…

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/P907010032.JPG

Kevin

Originally Posted By: jrice

David,

I looked into putting a steel roof on my ranch house. Talked to a couple of companies that make them. Basically they are not much harder to install than a shingle roof. One company would even send someone down to show you how. Supposedly, they have a guaranteed 50 yr. life span and increase the R value by another 14. I didn’t really see a downside to them other then they cost almost twice what shingles do. Also insurance companies like them because they are hail resistant and fire retardant.

Hope what little I know is a help. icon_smile.gif

Jeff

Originally Posted By: kleonard

I’ve heard all good news about the new steel roofs. Their supposed to look no different, from the street anyways, than a composite shingle, I wonder if they make steel roofs that look like cedar or shake?

Cheers

Kevin ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: jrice

Kevin,

Yes they do! Let me try to find the web site?!?

Jeff