Single Use or Electric Radon Meters

So I have looked through the forum regarding Radon testing. Where I live the agents push Radon testing so I feel I need to offer it. There are so many instruments and honestly the single use charcoal test units seem to offer just as much as the electric units when you consider the calibration and that really 48 hrs won’t give you a real picture.
So the question is are the charcoal units effective or should I purchase the expensive ones? What about the $200 units Like Radon Eye (promoted on Internachi)?

Internachi does not promote the $200 RadonEye, which is not legal for radon testing for a real estate transaction. They do promote the $800 RadonEye Pro.

You can only use approved devices. You will learn more by going through training and doing some research online, with particular focus on your own state’s requirements.

2 Likes

Welcome to our forum, Jon!..Enjoy! :smile:

1 Like

There are many factors to consider when choosing a method of testing. As with any tool there are multiple options available. Charcoal canisters are every bit effective as the monitors, but the monitors are far more sophisticated. Canisters are easy to use and require no maintenance - monitors required calibration. I have 5-10 tests going on at the same time (depending on my volume) and would not want to have 5-10 monitors on hand. Getting canisters back is not a big deal -getting monitors back is a big deal - what if the seller hates you for blowing the deal and damages your monitor or leaves it outside in the rain for you.
Ill stick to canisters and consider it an expense - which the clients are paying for.

1 Like

I switched to a CMRs when FedEx lost a package of mine. I am glad I did because in my market agents are reluctant to wait for lab results.

1 Like

Rarely discussed here are Radelec E-perms. Testing can be done for short or long term or even well water. Results are the same day as test completes (supplied electret reader). Calibration is annual but I live close to their facility (postage is less) turnaround is quick. I can do three tests at the same time.

If you’re so inclined Radelec also sells CRMs.
https://www.radelec.com/

2 Likes

Second Bob’s recommendation for the E-perms. The company I work for does a lot of radon testing and it is easy and not too expensive to scale up by adding more sets. You only need one reader and have a result almost as soon as you read it.

1 Like