Smoke Detector testing..Question

Who is responible for testing that a smoke detector works ?

My Home inspector school advised that we only note and inform

that they are in the correct areas…

What is the a Home Inspectors responsibility in this area ?

David

It is prudent to note the number and location, but unwise to officially record their working status unless you intend to back that up if they fail during a fire.

I like to tell people that moving into a new home is a great time to replace smoke detectors to make sure they have all new and properly functioning units…a very small price for a very important item…jmo…jim

Agree, and I always put a statement in my reports, in BOLD and included in the Summary, that all fire detectors should be tested for proper operation immediately upon moving into home.

I note the locations, test the accessible units installed using the test button and recommend upgrading to current required locations when needed.

www.mauihomeinspections.com

My General Comment…

[FONT=Helvetica][size=2]Smoke Detectors[/size][/FONT]
[size=2][FONT=Helvetica]- Detectors are noted as present but not sounded or inspected.
*- Recommend the installation of smoke detectors at each level and bedroom of the home. *
Placement should be in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Recommend the installation of Carbon Monoxide (CO) detectors in homes with Gas / Oil fired
appliances. Placement should be in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Recommend the installation of Carbon Monoxide (CO) detectors in homes with attached
Garages. Placement should be in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations.
*- Recommend the replacement of smoke detectors at 10 year intervals per the manufacturer’s *recommendations.
[/size][/FONT]

As a general rule, I also note if the location is at least 4 inches from the wall (for ceiling mounted detectors) and if the detector is at least 4 inches from the ceiling but not more than 12 inches from the ceiling for wall mounted detectors.

Just my two cents.

Remember using the test button , only tests the energy source to the unit,and not function.

Check your state’s SOP, if you are in a licensing state. Or, check the SOP of whatever certifying association you are a member of. Here’s what NC says:

“C. Report on presence or absence of smoke detectors, and operate their test function, if accessible, except when detectors are part of a central system.”

Check your state’s SOP, if you are in a licensing state. Or, check the SOP of whatever certifying association you are a member of. Here’s what NC says:

“C. Report on presence or absence of smoke detectors, and operate their test function, if accessible, except when detectors are part of a central system.”

[/quote]

I accidentally tested a central system once so I was able to verify the response time of the police and fire department (which was actually pretty good.

The smoke and co2 meters I bought for my house recommended they be replaced every 5 years. I’m not gonna guess how old detectors are in a house. I recommend they be replaced and the client checks with the local fire dept. for recommendations.

I agree also Jim, explain it makes noise, but I’ll be damned if I know whether it detects smoke.

I recommend they replace them, who knows what somebody might have done to one of them, or all of them, their cheap, and save lives, buy new ones.

I accidentally tested a central system once so I was able to verify the response time of the police and fire department (which was actually pretty good.

[/quote]

The fire department in my neck of the woods charges $800.00/truck for false alarms. I never test if there is an alarm system installed.
I always suggest replacement as well.

Cheers

If you trigger an alarm system during an inspection, you can sometimes demonstrate your superior knowledge to the buyers and the realtor and disable the beepbeep by taking the cover off and clipping one of the speaker wires. Don’t ask how I know this. :stuck_out_tongue:

John Kogel
www.allsafehome.ca

We found a ‘canned smoke’ product. Aerosol spray to the unit, then spray with canned air to shut off. Tests (supposedly) the working of the unit, not just that the battery and test button works. I also recommend replacement of batteries yearly and test monthly.

I think the recommendation to replace every 5 or 10 years is a good idea. Technology always gets better as time passes. (imo)

Yes, it’s not a good idea to test the monitored units. Gets the realtors attention, too. :slight_smile:

If you use the canned smoke and want to save $$ try using a stick of insense. Its what I use to check the flues 1 stick last a long time makes enough smoke to see what’s happening. I just stick it under a faucet to put it out or lick my fingers.

its state law.

These are good comments Joe!

Below is what I recommend with regard to smoke detectors:

*Smoke Detectors
· **Safety Tip: **You should replace your smoke detector every 10 years. That is over 87,000 hours of service! Replace the batteries in your existing unit (if equipped). Ionization technology responds first to fast, flaming fires while photoelectric technology responds faster to slow smouldering fires. Having both types would be ideal. It is recommended that a smoke detector be installed on every floor and every bedroom of the home for improved safety. *