Smoke Detectors

Originally Posted By: dbroad
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am trying to find out what the code requires here in Ca. All I can find is new homes require them in all bedrooms and hallways. However no one at building and safety knows what year this rule started. It says all res. adding on or interior alterations over $1000. must up date to the new code since 1986. What about the houses being sold that were built before the code came into effect ( when ever that was) that havent had addictions? icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I can only speak to FL. but if the home was built in 1955, there weren’t any smoke detectors then. I always recommend installation of smoke detectors in each bedroom, etc. if they aren’t there as an upgrade for safety.

Have you tried the local fire marshalls office? Sometimes they are very helpful in these matters.

Originally Posted By: pdacey

TX has the same requirements for new const. For existing houses you are allowed to install battery operated detectors in the areas they are missing. If you renovate an area of the home, it has to be brought up to modern code requirements.

Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

Dale:

The 2000 International Residential Code (2000 IRC) states the following:
"Single and multiple station smoke alarms shall be installed in the following
locations: 1) In each sleeping room. 2) Outside of each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedrooms. 3) On each additional story of the dwelling, including basements and cellars but not including crawl spaces and uninhabitable attics. In dwellings or dwelling units with split levels and without an intervening door between the adjacent levels, a smoke alarm installed on the upper level shall suffice for the adjacent lower level provided that the lower level is less than one full story below the upper level."

Also, newly constructed homes and additions to existing homes must have detectors that are hard wired to the house electrical system with battery back up. The detectors must also be interconnected so that if one activates they all activate.

In existing dwellings, the location requirements are the same but the units do not have to be hard wired unless you are performing alterations/remodeling (removing of wall or ceiling panels) to facilitate the installation of the wiring.

Hope this helps,

--
Russell G. Cloyd
Intra-Spec Home Inspections
& Code Consulting, LLC
859-586-4591
www.intra-spechomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: dbroad

Thanks for the information. I found out the new rules went into effect 1987. How ever no one told the city or county inspectors for I am finding alot of homes built into the early 90s the still were not built to code.

Thanks once again, Dale -w- Absolute Home Co