So true it is of a generation past

Deneth Kulasekara · M a y 1 5 a t 8 : 3 0 P M ·

WE ARE A GENERATION THAT WILL NEVER COME BACK.

A generation that walked to school and then walked back.

A generation that did their homework alone to get out asap to play in the street.

A generation that spent all their free time in the streets with their Friends.

A generation that played hide and seek when dark.

A generation that made mud cakes.

A generation that collected sports cards.

A generation that found, collected and washed & Returned empty coke bottles to the local grocery store for 5 cents each , then bought a Mountain Dew and candy bar with the money.

A generation that made paper toys with their bare hands.

A generation who bought vinyl albums to play on record players.

A generation that collected photos and albums of clippings of their life experiences as a Kid.

A generation that played board games and cards on rainy days.

A generation whose TV went off at midnight after playing the National Anthem.

A generation that had parents who were there.

A generation that laughed under the covers in bed so parents didn’t know we were still awake.

A generation that is passing and unfortunately it will never return no matter how hard we try.

I loved Growing up when I did. it was the best of times.

37 Likes

Me, too, Marcel…me, too! :+1:

10 Likes

A generation that earned spending money either babysitting or delivering papers on a paper route.

12 Likes

So true and so sad!

I think the greatest thing about that generation can be summed up as they used their brains to explore, create, make their own decisions, and learn from all they did! Can’t say that anymore unfortunately with so many sheep and not enough leaders.

10 Likes

And cutting grass or shoveling snow for the neighbors

18 Likes

And, shining shoes, selling cold drinks to tourists, via wagon w/cooler, on hot days and whatever else we could think of doing for $.

14 Likes

I told my dad I wanted a mini-bike.

He bought me a lawn mower! :flushed:
And all the lawns to cut that were under construction…

Then I bought that mini-bike.

17 Likes

12 Likes

We were the kids that went outside at the crack of dawn and didn’t come back until it was too dark to see. We rode our bikes until the wheels fell off or the chain slipped of and we cracked our nuts, but like troopers we eventually got up and fix our own bikes and climbed back on. We played marbles at recess on the playground with our cat eyes, clearly, bumble bee and the occasional steely ball bearing. Television consisted of three channels on a good day and it was my job to turn the antenna to get a better signal. Parents never worried, but they should have. We played with M80s and cherry bombs and placed pennies on the railroad tracks to flatten them. We all had crew cuts and cuff our jeans that had iron on patches on the knees. Thanks Marcel for bringing out all the memories.

19 Likes

Yes, Randy. we do not want to forget those. I played a lot of marbles with shooters, (those big ones), LOL and cracked a few nuts to when your foot slips off the pedal. LOL

6 Likes

I’m the only one who ever did this

17 Likes

I had a blue one that all the kids on my cul-de-sac would ride. It was great but the brakes never worked.

5 Likes

Same here: (Only our skateboards had metal wheels…)

9 Likes

I worked all summer mowing lawns and made 250.00 with no help from my parents so I could buy a mini bike. I also learned to maintain it on my own.

This is a Google pic, but it was identical to this one.
download 1971 CT 70

11 Likes

This Schwinn Stingray is very much like the one I had, bannana seat and all, that I was riding around on jumping dirt ramps back in 1965.

15 Likes

Scott, my first was a CT Trail 90, same as in this pic…

I actually still have it, covered and stored in my basement. Haven’t cranked it in 15 years. One day, I’ll pull it out and take it to someone to clean it up and get her running again. I would normally do it myself, but have too many other projects to get done ahead of that.

8 Likes

Who needs breaks?!! Lol

4 Likes

Having been born in '54, we were also the generation who huddled under school desks during air raid drills and buried an assassinated president at the age of 9… we also remember our uncles and brothers drafted for war to a country we never heard of who never returned, yup.

8 Likes

Yes, turns a poor boys bike to a mean sounding motorcycle.

1 Like

@dandersen, @sbridges2 , @tglaze

Aside from the home made mini-bikes and go carts, my 1st “mini-bike” was this 450 Scrambler:

10 Likes