Someone to write reports

I dont think its a bad idea. I have had someone write some of mine when I am swamped. (trainee). I still go through the whole report after he finishes and prior to uploading but it only takes me a few (around 20) minutes vs 1.5 hours or more.

I believe there are several companies using someone, even a spouse to write the report. It is not a bad way to go. With the mobile solutions offered today you can collect the data faster and speak your comments directly into the report. My reports require a quick check after we leave the inspection and we are done. No need to have someone write the report afterwards. It can easily be done with HIP, HG or 3D. I am sure that there are more.

At some point when I am busy enough my plan is to have my wife go with me on the inspection and write as we go. Install the pictures and email the report. I can get an extra inspection a day by doing this and she doesn’t cost much (at work anyways).

Having a fairly good understanding of hardware & software when starting out some 10 years ago, I set up my company from the get-go to perform on-site reports. After the first few years I was finding myself absorbed in the process of crafting a report alternating with discovering defects… All while trying to be social with my customer by attending to their needs and answering questions… In a nutshell I was not enjoying the ‘inspecting experience’, and if I wasn’t enjoying it no one else was either.

I consider myself as an investigative artist with a trained eye who is also a fairly competent word smith. Unfortunately for me alternating between the two tasks created stress which manifested in either poor reporting, or weak customer relations.

Today, on-site reporting is limited to those homes I inspect alone, mostly as a time saver for myself. When there is a customer along I let my camera log the defects while I attend to customer service which seems to make everyone happier.

Anyway, just sharing my experience.

I feel you on that Joe.
This is exactly why I am hopped up on the Galaxy camera which simply lets me slot into position each picture for later use and I click in the canned material comments if there is a conversation break.

Joe, I find it never a problem balancing customer service with on site reporting.

Jeff, now that I am doing it on site, I’m upset i didnt go that way sooner, lol.

That’s what we’ve all said once we made the transition.

Other than perhaps Joe, I have yet to hear of another inspector who went from onsite reporting, back to sitting at the desk for hours.

If it takes 2or3 hours after the inspection at home for reports, then how much time is added to on site time for the same report?

I do all of my reports and presentations onsite. There is virtually work to do at home after the inspection is completed. All are also printed on site, along with all pictures taken. Takes about 3 hours total, including the inspection. This was my goal all along, since no other HI was doing onsite reports. However, I had to develop my own software, and still use it today. Many of the others I have tried are just to slow, and created too much work at home, and contain too much fluff. At the inspection, my reports are printed, presented, then I collect the check, done. I go home, with almost no work to do, except for filing and clean-up; perhaps 15 minutes.

I always take the time to answer any questions during the inspection from any buyer or RE present. I also encourage all buyers to follow me around, and ask questions. I do not use any fancy smart phone, or portable devices. Heck, the camera I use was discontinued 10 years ago. Everything new does not always speed the process. This also includes the termite report/inspection, which I myself provide to the buyer. I do not take notes, as they are placed into the report when I see them. A quick picture is taken for the buyer’s info.

HI’s that stay up to the wee hours of the mornings, and spend 2 to 3 hours writing a report are wasting time, IMO.

I have now idea how you guys can perform an inspection with a report in 3 hours.

Took me 4 hours on this one and 4 hours on the report at home.

:slight_smile:

In Kansas, you are not required to check appliances or appliance connections; one outlet, one switch, one window, etc. I check the appliances and everything else I have access to, but most inspectors here just do inspections by the SOP’s, and they take about an hour or so.

Software and standard lanuages (thanks to Dr. Swift) in the reports makes the difference. Often I have my son help me on weekends, and we can do 3 per day easily. Some RE’s here do not want onsite reports, so they can negotiate with the buyer after I leave (and before they get the reports). Works both ways. I see a defect, select the area in the report, select the wording, enter, done. On to the next area of the home. Inspections should not take any longer than 15 minutes per room, IMO. You get a feel for it over time. Most all of my reports are at 21 pages. I do not incorporate pictures, which takes tremendous time at home.

Wow!! One hour home inspection.

Over 40 years in the Construction Industry, that would be impossible for me to do. :slight_smile:

Exactly my thought process.

If it takes 2 hours at home then your 3 hour on site inspection is now a 5 hour inspection.
That is the dilemma.

Jeff said he would explain it in detail once but never has.

Again, you haven’t been paying attention Bob. I’ve explained it many times and several members are off and running, doing it just like me.

It’s simple - instead of taking 35 pictures of the attic, then studying them at home, study the attic while you’re there with your EYES. Then just enter the information into the report.

Try it some time. You might just see how easy it can be.

[quote=“jpope, post:34, topic:74326”]

Again, you haven’t been paying attention Bob. I’ve explained it many times and several members are off and running, doing it just like me.

It’s simple - instead of taking 35 pictures of the attic, then studying them at home, study the attic while you’re there with your EYES. Then just enter the information into the report.

Try it some time. You might just see how easy it can be./QUOTE

Do you use pics in your report? Or describe only what you see .

I use pictures (as many as necessary) in my reports, but only of defects or adverse conditions.

Yeah, my last one ended up with 60+ pictures of defects not counting the ones without a picture. Report ended up 60 pages long.
:):wink:

It is Marcel.

I agree 100% with you and Joe Burkeson In my opinion it is virtually impossible to do a quality, thorough inspection, talking with the client and anyone else present, and then completing the report on site is such a short period of time. I have tried both methods, and I prefer doing the inspection and all my talking, marketing, and explaining at the inspection, then doing the reports later in the office. I fell it gives an overall better package to my clients.

Jim

Gary, that may be the minimum required by your licensing standards, but if that is how an inspection is done, it would NEVER fly here. Here you need to be quite thorough, which includes appliances and all accessible outlets, windows etc… not jut “A representative” number. That junk may fly with some agents but NOT the good ones that really care and don’t only care for soft fluff junk. Like Charlie Daniels says in a song, you need to be as good as some, and Better than the rest.

Jim