Something I ALWAYS wondered about;;

Originally Posted By: bob haller
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

The NEC is so careul about everything BUT!

You have a 15 amp breaker with 14 gauge wire, so far all is well ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

But then you plug in a 16 gauge extyension cord that can get abused....

Seems like this would be a obvious fire hazard I have often woindered why the minimum gauge of extension cords isnt at least 14 to prevent troubles where they are most likely to occur to begin with?

Originally Posted By: tschwalbe

Your not trying to pull a Ralph Nader and put us FireFighters out of a job are you? Just kidding.

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

The assumption is a 16 ga cord will operate a 20a breaker with a bolted fault The problem arises when it is simply an overload (for 16ga wire) that draws less than 20a. More dangerous is the older 18 ga extension cords.

Originally Posted By: bob haller

Yep I was thinking of a overladed or partial short. I repair office machines for a living, laminators and see wires that have melted and even burned thru that never tripped a breaker.

In a home ith flmmables around it looks like a obvious failuree mode ![icon_sad.gif](upload://nMBtKsE7kuDHGvTX96IWpBt1rTb.gif)

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

The only way to solve this problem would be to outlaw any extension cord smaller than 14ga (maybe even 12 ga) but I doubt that will happen.

The hazard only happens when the end user overloads a cord.

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Also extentions cords are not (should not icon_rolleyes.gif ) be restricted from disipating heat. If you ran a #16 in an insulated wall cavity and put 15 amps though it, it would heat up nicely

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

AFCI Breakers

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/afcifac8.pdf

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: bbadger

This is covered by the NEC.

Quote:
250.5(B)(3)(3) Extension Cord Sets. Flexible cord used in listed extension cord sets, or in extension cords made with separately listed and installed components, shall be permitted to be supplied by a branch circuit of Article 210 in accordance with the following:

20-ampere circuits ? 16 AWG and larger