Do You Report Extension Cord Wiring?

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Do You Report Extension Cord Wiring?

Quote:

Photo of extension cording that was used to power a variety of equipment and appliances on the exterior of the travel trailer.

The surprising element of this incident is that the electricity theft and wiring violations were discovered due to a flareup of an LPG appliance and not an electrical fire!

![](upload://80IZnjGm61BCGtmbnUdDU6rB6X5.jpeg)

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: rhinck

Yes

Rick

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Information:

Extension Cord Sets.

A flexible cord that is used in a listed extension cord set, or in extension cords made with separately listed and installed components, is allowed to be supplied by a 20-ampere branch circuit sized at 16 AWG and larger.

This is one area that should be understood by the HI, and it points out that we can make our own extension cord ... but there is more, for example, don't use a box with knockouts in the enclosure for any receptacles.

Better to consider the use of a box with a threaded hub and strain relief. There are many ways to accomplish this.

As far as the picture above, and the reply as "Yes" I am happy to hear that this is noted. Sometimes, extension cords are used excessively, and in some cases replace the required receptacle outlets.

Note: A receptacle outlet is supposed to be installed wherever flexible cords with attachment plugs are used.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Yep.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: psmothers

While doing my in-field (ride along) hours for licensing we came across a house where the handy home owner had closed in a patio and added a few extra “rooms” to the back of his house. It was probably 300 square feet total which he added. All four of the “rooms” had sheet metal roofs, doors with out handles just slide locks, very questionably framing if you could call it framing, no HVAC because most had screens for windows, and 1x4 deck boards for flooring most of which was in direct earth contact. The four rooms were a laundry room, shop, storage room, and a make shift den with TV, sofas, fans and a little fridge. The kicker, as if all of that was not enough, the whole “addition” was done with extension cord wiring. Everything! the 240 had 2 extension cord runs. We opened up what appeared to be make shift sub panel but it was really jungle of extension cord connections. I wish I had some pictures to show it was truly unbelievable.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Find them everywhere here and write them up, especially when they run from inside the home, through the wall to the outside.

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Find it on about 75% of my inspections. Always write it up.

Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com