Speakers for use in 2 hour firewalls or fireceilings

Originally Posted By: Don Belanger
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have been told that any device installed into a condo or townhome firewall or ceiling must be able to withstand the same 2 hour fire rating as the wall itself. I work for a company that designs inceiling and inwall speakers. Normal construction is a plastic frame or baffle with a steel backcan.

Can anyone tell me what specific UL and/or NFPA standard is invloved with this? Or, what the 2 hour test consists of, i.e.; direct flame contact at what temperature?

Thank you in advance for any help or guidance you can provide.

Don Belanger
Director of Engineering
KSC Industries, Inc.

www.kscind.com

Originally Posted By: mpetner

I would think that the manufacturer of your speaker assemblies should be able to provide data on whether or not they are approved for fire-rated assemblies.

You probably should submit building permit applications for the work that you?re doing. If your permit applications aren't immediately approved, then the building official should explain why. Maybe you don't need a 2-hour rating, in some cases.

Originally Posted By: wrobedeau

Instead of looking for a 2 hour rated speaker, Construct the opening in the wall for the speaker as a two hour rating. Usually a double layer of 5/8 fire rated plaster board will do properly taped. Talk to you AHJ to see what is needed in your area.

Bill Robedeau

Originally Posted By: jpeck

I agree with Bill, building a 1-2 hour rated enclosure (depending on whether you need 1 or 2 hours) as part of the wall may be the easiest way.

However, even this will need to be constructed as part of the 2-hr rated assembly. There may be certain separation distance requirements between each side of the fire rated wall assembly.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Don Belanger

Thanks for the input. I apprecitae it.

DB