Squirrel nest soup anyone?

Look how it gathered all the insulation up .
Nice and cozy…Yep!

5 Likes

Got R rating of the nest? how about IR image?

Makes you wonder if those NM wires served as occasional vitamin intake :smiley:

Yes! IR image would be cool! Did you poke it? :laughing:

Believe It or Not Simon. They only chewed the coax and the phone lines.
Mr. Fetty no I didn’t poke it. Now if it was a girl squirrel I may have.
Girl squirrels usually go nuts over me LOL.

2 Likes

I’ve got recipes!!!

Let’s hear them.

Squirrel Stew with Greens!! (one of my favorites!)

• 3 squirrels, cut into serving pieces
  • Salt
  • Flour for dusting
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 2 cups sliced onion
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1 cup white wine
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 heaping teaspoon dried savory or oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 heaping tablespoon paprika
  • 2 to 3 cups of whole peeled tomatoes, torn into large pieces
  • 1 pound smoked sausage, such as kielbasa or linguica, sliced into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 pound greens, kale, chard, collards, wild greens, etc
  • black pepper to taste

Instructions

• Salt the squirrel pieces well and then dust in flour. Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or other heavy, lidded pot over medium-high heat. Brown the squirrels in batches, being sure to not overcrowd the pot. Move the browned pieces to a plate or cutting board while you cook the rest.

• When the squirrels have been nicely browned, remove them all from the pot and add the onion. Saute the onion until it just begins to brown on the edges, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Add the tomato paste, mix well and cook this for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often.

• Pour in the white wine, vinegar and about 1 quart of water. Add the savory, red pepper flakes and paprika, then the torn-up tomatoes, then the squirrel. Mix well and bring to a simmer. Add salt to taste and cook gently until the squirrel wants to fall off the bone, about 90 minutes. Fish out all the squirrel pieces and pull them off the bone – this makes the stew a lot easier to eat. Return them to the pot.

• Add the smoked sausage and the greens and cook until the greens are done, about 10 minutes (If you are using collards, they need more than 10 minutes to cook so adjust accordingly). Add salt, black pepper, chile and vinegar to taste and serve with crusty bread.

When was the last time you had this?

Sorry! Never ate rodents before ha ha

Can you use half frozen squirrels?
winter sucks

1 Like

Bruce! You made me laugh. I’m still chuckling right now. LOL

When are you making some, you have access to all the necessary ingredients now :smiley:

Marcel…you’ll have to thaw the frozen halves first!! LOL!!!

Taste like chicken…

1 Like

Last year. Been a slow season for me this year. Not near enough hunting time this year…but plenty of inspections so it’s all good!

God I like this guy. He’s got to be a southern boy like I am.

Deep South Roy…I’m from DNA (Dang Near Alabama). Pensacola, FL.