start up costs

Originally Posted By: Jeff Dodson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What can I expect to pay for E&O? Where can I get quotes for E&O? What gadgets will I absolutely need and how much are they? I don’t understand how it will cost to market when I will be marketing mostly to agents. Could someone explain this to me? Thanks for the information, it’s awkward asking for all this help. I appreciate any help at all, I really want to make this work. Thanks, Jeff

Originally Posted By: mpatton

Jeff,

Welcome to NACHI, you will find this message board very useful. The answers and discussions addressing questions you have asked can be found in many of the existing threads. I suggest that you start reading, you can spend a great deal of time reading the boards, skip the nonsense posts and read for the technical and business content and you will learn a great deal. Keep in mind this is an "open" board and many different perspectives are shared.

Have fun reading!![nachi_nachi.gif](upload://uHOMNyaTr9Egc1VkzoQvcptyboG.gif)

--
Michael Patton
AA Home Inspection
Serving Northern KY & Greater Cincinnati OH

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

Originally Posted By: mjones1

Jeff, As far as E&O goes alot of home inspectors have been “F****D” over the last couple of years, you should read the Nations Hazards thread.

And tools well im a tool junky so the more the better. There are alot of places to get what you need just do a search for “Home Inspection tools” on Google.

Good Luck

Mike Jones
Quality First Home and Pest Inspection Services

Thanks to both of you for your input and direction. It’s good to have a place to go to get some tips. Thanks again, Jeff

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Jeff,

Welcome to NACHI. Just to give you some helpful info, FREA has pretty competitive prices on E&O insurance. Email Chris Butler at http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/profile.php?mode=email&u=302
He is the director of membership for FREA.

There website is http://www.frea.com/

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: gsutterfield

Jeff

Do you live in Kansas or Mo? If Mo. check with an attorney about ins. Mo. has some strange but beneficial laws conserning liability!

P.S. I lived in Jeff City & Lake of The Ozarks for about 10 years [ Go Chiefs ]

Now I live 60 miles south of St. Louis [ Go Rams] ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

I actually live in Kansas. The Rams looked good today, of course the Chiefs did also. I will check into those suggestions though. Thanks, Jeff

Originally Posted By: fred deveydt

Please tell me more about what you have learned about mo. law. I am from DeSoto myself and always looking for a way to lessen my E&O costs. Thanks Fred
gsutterfield wrote:
Jeff

Do you live in Kansas or Mo? If Mo. check with an attorney about ins. Mo. has some strange but beneficial laws conserning liability!

P.S. I lived in Jeff City & Lake of The Ozarks for about 10 years [ Go Chiefs ]

Now I live 60 miles south of St. Louis [ Go Rams] ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Originally Posted By: gsutterfield

Fred

Go to Misc. Discussion " NACHI arbitration service provides complaint resolution " Last page

Gary

Originally Posted By: psabados

Hey Fred

Welcome to the boards.
Are you established or just starting out?

Hope to see you at the next MOKAN Chapter meeting Jan 10, 2004.

Paul

Paul,

I just wanted to say "Thank you " again for the ride along. I appreciate the time you took to answer my questions and the professional courtesy you displayed. I’ll call again sometime, Jeff

Originally Posted By: psabados

Jeff

You're welcome. We had a little bit of everything on the one. Good to have you along and if you have any questions call me otherwise see you on the 10th of Jan.

Paul

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Paul:

Thank you for your help in assisting a new member in his business start.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: arosenbaum

E&O insurance is , if your state doesn’t require it, that is…

Nick and I both agree

Originally Posted By: rwalsh

Quote:
What can I expect to pay for E&O? Where can I get quotes for E&O? What gadgets will I absolutely need and how much are they? I don't understand how it will cost to market when I will be marketing mostly to agents. Could someone explain this to me? Thanks for the information, it's awkward asking for all this help. I appreciate any help at all, I really want to make this work. Thanks, Jeff

E&O: You can plan on about $3400 for your first year if you use a reputable firm.

Tools: Laser Thermometer $100, Moisture meter $475, Voltage tester $20 +/-, Ladders $200 +/-, Levels $20 +/-, Tape measure $10, Digital Camera $300 +/-, Combustible gas detector $200 +/-, Flash lights $50 +/-, Screw drivers etc. 20 +/-, Knee pads $20, Tool bag $50 +/-, matches $0, office supplies $200 +/-. I'm sure I'm missing some stuff here.

Why is marketing expensive? If you use direct mail postage will add up quick, mailing lists cost money, The cost of printing and reproduction is expensive even if you print them yourself, which takes forever. A solid marketing plan has to include much more than cold calling realtors.

The hardest part is the lack of income starting out. Expect to spend most, if not all of what you make on marketing.

IMHO Home Inspection = 10% home inspecting, 90% marketing.

I'm not trying to deter anyone from entering the business. It takes a lot of capital and effort. Good Luck. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Rocky Walsh
Diligence Property Inspection Inc
www.dpinspect.com

I’ve got some saving to do! How much do you think you spend in marketing a month? How much was the initial cost to get the word out with the newsletters, ect. Thanks, Jeff

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Jeff,

There's no set amount that is spent on marketing. If you want to spend $50.00 a month, that's fine. If you want to spend $3,500.00 that's fine too.
Marketing should be one of your daily priorities. If you are not inspecting, marketing should be next on your list. Whether it be dropping off brochures, handing out business cards, attending city meetings to meet people and all sorts of crazy ideas that will enhance your exposure and let people know who you are.
There are millions of ideas on marketing and thousands of books to read. But marketing is not always about spending money. Spend only what you can afford on commercial advertising. Then get in your car and drive around town (the city), telling everyone you see and meet, about your business. This doesn't cost you anything but gas money and time. It's considered, cheap advertising.
![](upload://cUTM4AknNo3gZ3Tc5ads0Iddzn4.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Well, I’ve decided to I’m going to do everything possible to make this business work. It’s going to take some time and a lot of learning, but it will get done. Thanks for all the input and I’m sure I will have more questions as this goes along. Thanks again, Jeff Dodson