step question

So I came across this picture and notice the steps. Would the step requirements apply here ? There’s more than 4 risers without guardrails and the treads look alot more than 10 inches. Would this be a defect or does these kinds of long steps in front of the house be exempt from this rule ?

You will never get anyone to do anything about it, so I mention it in my report as a safety concern, without going so far as calling it a defect.

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&hl=en&authuser=0&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1239&bih=638&q=terraced+landscape+steps&oq=terraced+landscape+steps&gs_l=img.12...1064.8747.0.10572.25.25.0.0.0.0.183.2871.0j22.22.0…0…1.1.64.img…3.17.2237.0…0j0i5i30k1j0i8i30k1j0i24k1j0i30k1.3-oQcriPi4I

Do you perceive this as a safety concern? Does your client perceive this is a safety concern?

Does the stairs system or the front porch elevation exceed 30 inches above grade?

Zackly…otherwise it is not required…but you can recommend anything you want, especially for safety.

I would pass on that set of stairs.
Not a safety concern and railings would look out of place.

The IRC doesn’t call out railings unless you’re stepping off a 30" high platform.
The 5 riser rule could be argued away here.

I have 9 steps from my front door to the driveway, they are approx 6’ X 4’ wide, I drop about 6’ but no railings required.

The IBC may be different but this is a residence.

David!
If my buddies brought over a jug of shine, I see those steps being tretrous.
I can see them and/or me fallin’ down to the street curb.
Man! Call those steps out.
That is only if you are in the deep south.

First advice for you Roy is learn how to tie your shoe laces.
Next thing is just fall off the porch and have your buddies roll you to the curb.

Damn Rednecks, cain’t read, cain’t write, cain’t even stand up straight unless they have a fence post to lean on.

IRC would require a handrail IMO. But like Jeff said just point it out.

No one uses the front door around here!
They always come through the garage to put their shine in the beer frig…:wha?:

Roy’s idea of “shine” down in Florida is “Gatorade”! :mrgreen:

LMAO :lol:

Roy
Your right , Most down your way would not worry about those steps .

As far as I know, if the tread is long enough to allow two steps on each tread, it stops being a “stairway” and becomes an elevating walkway. That’s my perspective and not worth calling out. You would start to sound a like a Nervous Nellie.

Some insurance companies label these as “landscape stairs” and will call it a safety concern regardless of elevation and/or number of risers.