Stopping the ASHI/ITA Attempt to Control

You can’t even get Inspectors together to pay a lawyer to fight a piece of legislation let alone expect to get enough of them to pony up any real money to buy out another association. How often do we see posts about "Where is the cheapest insurance, vehicle, software, flashlight, batteries, camera…? Most HI are sitting on their butts , fiddle-de-f***ing around hoping something will magically make all the bad things go away. Easter bunny mentality. When you hear the Governor’s office say very few people have even bothered to call or write opposing a piece of crap bill, it makes you almost wish it would pass so they get what they deserve.

I hear you.

Killing the ASHI/ITA bill in Missouri this year was tough and took a combined effort throughout the state, involving the input and participation from a whole lot of people.

Like most cancers, these bills are easier to kill in their earlier stages which is why those drafting them do it in the dark and try to use the element of surprise to get them “fast tracked” through the system. Your cancer is fully developed and is in its final stages, requiring a radical surgery from your governor…who may not have the stomach for it.

Should Florida fall this year, it will be unfortunate considering your 15 years of fighting off this disease. While few will remember the gallant efforts of those who won the fight in the previous years…it will be the loss that will effect them most negatively, and will be remembered longer.

But bad laws can be repealed.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease but a thousand plus squeaky wheels scares the crap out of politicians. Suddenly you have everyone’s attention. Home inspectors have been part and parcel to these laws coming into effect all over the country.

Come what may, I will still be here doing inspections when some are out looking for jobs. We have tried to help protect individuals for years in this but many are tired of pulling this wagon alone and the harness is starting to chaff more than just a little. There have been some who have stepped up and they are to be commended but far too few have put forth any effort. Lets just say this bill gets vetoed again, we can expect a similar bill to rear its ugly head next year, and the year after that until someone finally pulls the plug or a bill gets passed and made into law.

If licensing is inevidible than it should be the best bill possible and do what it is suppose to do. This one isn’t even a good bill, let alone the best bill. It literally contradicts itself in places, makes the veteran inspector who has learned through years of training AND experience probably more than what most HI school instructors know. Yet this bill in the current form requires that inspector to go back to a piss ant 120 hour course and sit thru all the classic Home Inspector 101 material again.

Another areas calls for the home Inspector to determine WHY something is going to fail and when it is going to fail. Does anyone know where I can buy a good, cheap crystal ball? You can look at this two ways. Now you never have to refer anyone to another professional, you can make the call yourself without needing the additional license in HVAC, structural engineering, roofing, electrical. This is going to be great!

Doug…it is part of the national trend.

You see, the main objective of this marketing plan is to get the state to force people to fill the classrooms of the educational institution lobbying for the law.

The ASHI guys who have been promised jobs teaching these hundreds of students (one school in New York has already graduated 353 new inspectors in the last three months) don’t have to worry about the rest of the law…they will not be inspecting anymore, anyway.

State licensing laws are nothing more than a scam that is being brought upon the states to…at their expense…put money into the pockets of the special interests who are pushing for them.

The consumer, who is supposedly the one being “protected” is totally oblivious to the fact that his tax dollars funding the implementation of these laws are making these education vendors rich.

Anybody got a contact to “60 Minutes” or some other investigative reporting source? It would be a hell of a story.

Unfortunately the story is just too dry for your typical hard-hitting 60 Minutes expose’ and has no hook. You wouldn’t happen to know if one of those Florida inspectors who might be put out of business were ever thrown off the “Island” or performed on “American Idol” now would you?

Back in my early Navy career I was thrown out of many places and I have “performed” (that is usually why I got thrown out) but nothing worth a 60 Minutes spot.:wink:

A good singing voice works much better if it has some “liquid” sprinkled on it.

Jim,

Do you have any ideas on how to repeal existing ASHI/ITA State Licensing Laws?

I believe that it can begin with petitions, then media support…or vice versa.

Once a sufficient number of signatures have been obtained, you will solicit a state rep who will sponsor it and initiate the proper legislative protocol to bring the matter before the congress.

60 Minutes might not be interested in the story, but Good Morning America might. They ran a story earlier this year about bad home inspectors. I didn’t see it, but I saw part of the transcript online. I’ll look for it and post it if I can find it. If someone from National would contact them asking for rebuttal time, we might be able to ASHI and their little pet coalitions on the defensive.

Interestingly enough, 60 Minutes just ran a story this past Sunday that was critical of the National Association of Realtor’s legislative efforts to eliminate internet services from competing against their members.

I wonder how interested they would be to see how they use legislation (and attempt to use) to control the inspectors who report on the houses they sell. In my state, the local Missouri Association of Realtors want immunity from concealing known sex offenders living nearby …or having lived in the house.

I think it would make a great story. I am working with someone at CBS, presently, who appears to agree with me, though there is nothing scheduled to air on it at the moment. Without knowing it, the NRA is assiting these efforts with their anti-CBS campaign regarding last week’s broadcast.

This political action group, the National Assoc of Realtors, only represents the 20% of it s members who are still with them after three years while taking the dues of the 80% who will turn over during that period to further their political agenda.

They need to be stopped.

I wonder how long it will take the state reps across the country ]to figure out that the majority of inspectors opposed to licensing already have a bogus certificiation and could not come close to meeting any state min Lic. requirements:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Dan, do you mean like Arizona licensing where there are no annual continuing education requirements at all?

Talk about BOGUS!

Nah… I think taking an online non proctored quiz, paying 289.00 for instant certificiation with non-verified CE to remain certified, and CMI status for 375.00 with the same non verified requirements tops AZ min. requirements of 80 hrs HI training, 30 verified inspections with a certified inspector as BOGUS:roll: :roll:

Nickey… I just noticed you only have one greenie…
whats going on, slipping a little there big guy, eh. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Dan -

Remember the good old days at ASHI. The 1st several years you simply joined (no test - just a sponsor); then for another several years (up till around 1987-1988 or so) you had an open book take home test.

We now call those guys charter members, leaders; past presidents; etc.

What goes around, comes around.

Trouble is, nothing evolved at ASHI since 1987. They still have yet to launch their first entrance requirement while NACHI on the other hand… www.nachi.org/rigorous2006.htm

What is disgusting about these ASHI/ITA controlled “coalitions” is their willingness to take shots at their own profession with the news media in the hopes of establishing licensing that will get them jobs as instructors in the state mandated schools.

You really can’t get lower than that.

Jim -

Please stop this cruel tirade. Remember we’re all in this together. I know that cause the guys trying to F_ _ k us keep telling us that.

Got It Nickey…
From what I gather Nick Gromicko will solve that by eliminating any verified entrance requirements or verifying an inspectors HI knowledge prior to marketing an inspector to the public as a “certified” inspector , just by requiring inspectors to take an on line quiz, and pay him 289.00 for instant certification.:roll:

And we wonder why the government is stepping in as an attempt to protect the consummer from un-qualified "certified " inspectors.:roll: :roll:

Nick… Over the past few years I’ve seen several articles on home inspectors and Inspections by nationally recognized real estate professionals and real estate attorneys…not one of them recommend hiring on inspector that met your rigorous non verified "certification requirements… How Come? :roll:

</IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG>

Because they are not on Nachi’s payroll ? oops I’m not Nick, sorry!

It seems to be a dead heat Dan.:smiley: