Structural & Foundation Issues in FL

Asking Florida inspectors: What situations have you called for further evaluation by structural engineer of standard single story block houses in FL? Until now I don’t think I have seen an issue that required a structural engineer. Have you ever called for one? If so for what?

Cracks greater than 1/8" - 1/4" in, any cracks that are offset. I usually recommend a structural engineer or foundation contractor.

This house in Fishhawk Ranch.

http://www.nachi.org/forum/f23/slab-heaving-102190/

Bowing walls, heaved foundations, damaged structure, etc.

You’ll know it when you see it…

Dom.

Hmmmmm…:mrgreen:

After we photo document, describe and list the location of the crack(s) we insert this disclaimer:

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: Determining if these cracks are caused by simple settlement, a structural defect and/or poor sub soil conditions is beyond the scope of the home inspector. Client may choose to have a structural engineer perform a structural analysis and/or sub soil evaluation. NOTE: If these exterior cracks visibly transfer into the interior wall surfaces one would consider those a defect worthy of further analysis by a structural engineer.

Sentence #1 is a good statement. The next two sentences make no sense to me at all. We, per our standards, are supposed to report and recommend. What happens when you client chooses not to have it structurally evaluated and there is a problem. If he goes back to the inspection report there is no clear recommendation for further evalustion. Our job is to advise and recommend, not suggest. And if one ould consider something to be a defect, why are you not recomending the structaul engineer.

Also, you have a contractors license. You will be held to that license if anyone decides to take action against you. As a contractor you should know when a structural engineer is needed. You cannot claim you did not known

Thanks Bill, will revisit the verbiage and discuss with council. :slight_smile:

Micheal,
This is one I rec’ed a Structural Engineer. Tree in close prox to house.
House was just repainted with what might be a repair or filler.
Int wall had a horizontal crack as well as a vert crack.

This is the best narrative I have seen so far but I can Bill’s point. How can we improve on this narrative?

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: Determining if cracks are caused by simple settlement, a structural defect and/or poor sub soil conditions is beyond the scope of the home inspection. …? "

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: Determining if cracks are caused by simple settlement, a structural defect and/or poor sub soil conditions is beyond the scope of the home inspection. …? "

Why do you need that statement at all. You report on what you see and make recommendations. It is not up to you to determine the cause. It is up to you to report the crack, and, in your professional opinion, make the recommendtion you feel to be the most appropriate. All cracks should be sealed. We know that. Next is to determine if they they are just more than common cracking. That comes with time and experience. Perhaps you should make friends with a structual engineer, or attend some classes. FABI had a structural engineer at its conference back in March and we will be having another structural class in December up in Daytona. The only way to learn is to get more education, and associate with people that can help you. We have to stop trying to constanlly cover ourselves with disclaimers. We already have those. They are called the standards of practice.

Thank Bill. So you know, I agree with what you are saying and would still like a disclaimer.