Recommend an engineer?

Just did this big vacation home for an out-of-country buyer. It is a slab-on-grade, with block walls/wood frame 2nd floor.
I found a crack in the floor tiles running diagonally across the back right corner, about 5 feet from the corner. At the 2nd floor, there is stucco failing on the side and rear. There is no interior moisture, and no other signs of probolems - doors, windows work well, no other cracking in baseboard, wall, etc. -
I’m thinking it’s settling in the corner - there are no trees growing or apparent sinkholes. I want to recommend an engineer look at it, but for some reason am hesitant!

Report what you see and go ahead and make the recommendation. What is happening below the ground, behind the stucco and beneath the floor is not visible and it is obvious something is moving.

age of home is relevant IMO, 1-2 years, consult an engineer.
10-15, recommend siding contractor. note the floor tiles as cosmetic.

Thanks for the comments. The home was built in 2007, so 5 years old. I’m inclined to recommend an engineer, just because these 2 issues are at the exact same area - the tiles are cracked along a line which runs across the corner of the floor, and outside, the stucco is bad right in the area of that same corner…

I would have no problem making the recommendation for further guidance. All of the loose stucco needs to be removed regardless. Sometimes as far as moisture intrusion you need to look at the first floor in the corner of the floor. Thats typically where it comes in as it travels down the block wall.

No engineer needed. You need to learn as much as you can abt these improperly built FR/S over CBS houses.

I could not even see a tile crack in the photo. Almost certain it is coincidental.

Hint: How does the water get out of the 2nd flr FR/S wall?

Hint: Does not look like the tiled floor is sloping…

Hint: Alum screen frm does not look stressed…

As other said, report what you see (describe the component or system, determine what is at issue, implicate what may happen and direct them who to contact)…with that said…do not use the term “settling”…homes do not settle…don’t know why some builders and inspectors use such terms. The components of a home including the soil below the home “contracts and expands” which often account for cracks…but settling…no such thing.



Stucco/EIFS Mechanicak damage.
“with block walls/wood frame 2nd floor.”
You IR that wall ?
Does the CMU stop at the first story and wood framed after that?

Sorry but have to disagree with you. Not all soils “expand and contract”. It would depend on the make up of the soil. In this state, we have very limited areas with expansive soils. Most are lacking any form of clay and except for the northeastern most portion of the state have limited frost heave. We have settlement and little expansion / contraction. ymmv.

Mr. Cox.

When building with CMU’s, concrete masonry units, bars are installed in the cores and filled with cement to give the wall lateral support.
Mechanical means are also used for Openings,floor and ceiling trusses.
Bond beams are used at floor and ceiling connections.

Top chord.

CMU’s of all shapes, some to accept mechanical attachments.
If you theorize that one of the post is lifting and the anchorage nearest that post is applying force to the anchorage , what would happen ?
Shear, torsion ?
Shear or torsion on the bolt that may be anchored to or a plate caught a bar a bar in a CMU bond beam.
I am reaching or blinding a hypotheses I use every time I come back from a HI.

It looks like a bar that may have been placed in the CMU course has torn or ripped in the stucco wall coating. The tear id 12" inches long, guessing at the length, and it has taken time to go that far.
Would I call an engineer.
You do not want me to comment on my experiences with the engineers.
I would call a company that builds homes using CMU walls and get a second opinion.
An engineer uses **mathematical equations ** tools and sight to hypotheses a defect. Ever seen on do that for a defect like this.
I have seen to many call it out wrong. Sorry. Just say-en.?

Do you have pictures further away from the building.
Did you check to see if the post where perpendicular to level or plumb.
I would have used a level on each post. To see is there is any deferential.