Stucco flashing / weep screed

Hardcoat stucco on a house today, not common in my area (Virginia). Normally I see the apron/headwall flashing tuck under the stucco on a roof to wall intersection (stucco is acting as counter flashing) on an asphalt roof but this house had a metal standing seam roof abut the stucco wall. I am not used to seeing the roof flashing on top of stucco like this, anyone have any issues with it? There is some water damage in the corner which I will report on but I am more concerned about the flashing.

My second concern is water drainage - I typically want to see a weep screed or some way for water to be pushed/forced out if running behind the stucco. In these same pics, seems like any water that gets behind the stucco will not drain out of the wall assembly but instead leak into the house. Similar situation on the side of the house with a roof-top deck, no weep screed.

Other areas have stucco running straight into a patio with flagstone, no weep screed just caulked. Wouldn’t this be problematic?

I appreciate the help!

1 Like

In my opinion, all of your concerns are valid.

Then here from the article: Concrete brick pavers, natural stone, ceramic or quarry tiles or other construction materials are not to be placed, subsequent to installation of lath and plaster on vertical walls, in a manner or at an elevation that would block the weep screed from providing drainage from behind the wall system.
https://inspectapedia.com/exterior/Stucco_Weep_Screed_Specifications.php

More:

5 Likes

Brian, this is great thank you very much!

1 Like

I agree with Brian.

And, welcome back to our forum, Ian!..Enjoy! :smile:

3 Likes

Report it … Refer it … Move to something else.

It does not appear that all of the accessory details were done correctly on the stucco system such as there was at least one or more locations where concrete slabs, masonry or other flatwork are touching the stucco wall(s). This is a common but improper building practice. There should have been about a 2’ space or gap where they meet to allow any future movement of the flatwork from causing cracks or moisture damage to the stucco walls. Stucco is porous and on drainage systems this can allow moisture to escape from behind the stucco.

. Because of the type of cladding system that stucco is, the initial signs of moisture entry may be hidden inside the wall cavities and not immediately visible. On stucco systems, rot can work from the inside out, rather than working its way inward, such as on a house clad with wood siding.

Determining the full condition of this type of stucco system can not be done by a visual examination alone. We did not perform moisture probing or intrusive testing

Due to known issues with Stucco (including class action lawsuits of various types), we recommend further evaluation, testing and a full moisture analysis of the Stucco System. This will determine if moisture intrusion has occurred and if all of the necessary architectural details should be modified.

3 Likes

@dbowers Nice narrative. Working that into my narrative library. Thank you.

@dbowers thank you so much, incredible narrative! Great input from all on this thread, you guys rock.

Thanks @lkage!

Just looking at the pics you have several other missing details such as: no visible caulk joint at trim; no visible drainage path where stucco meets wall flashing; the breeches are not sealed; etc.

Point it out AND refer to a stucco inspector for moisture probing, etc

1 Like

Exactly what I do whenever I inspect a home with EIFS, call out any visible damage and recommend further evaluation by a EIFS Certified Inspector.

If these kind of issues are visible, one can only image what’s not visible.

https://www.buildingscience.com/documents/digests/bsd-146-eifs-problems-and-solutions

Poor walking surface clearance.
Do those doors have a working threshold?
Don’t know what behind the flashing.