STUCCO

Originally Posted By: rchoreyii
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I live here in the Southwest (NM) and I have been noticing here that many stucco homes have the stucco plastered all the way to grade level and below. Both my parents home and a friend of mine is this way plus the surrounding neighbors. I know that the stucco should be 8 inches above grade. Does anyone have any idea of why this would be done here other than just poor stucco work?

Ron Chorey

LAS CRUCES Home Inspections

rchorey@comcast.net

rchoreyii@nm.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: jpope

The wood frame wall system is where you need the appropriate clearance, not necessarily at the “stucco.”

It's quite common for the stucco to be laid down the wall and continue down the slab edge and any exposed footing.

The wall system stops at the sill plate, just below the weep screed. That is where you look for your clearances.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: tallen

Wheres the weep screed? Doesn’t stucco tend to wick moisture? This is a question not a smart remark.

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

In your picture Todd, either the weep screed is buried, missing or above the top of the photo. Yes, moisture will wick up into the stucco.

I'll see if I've got any pictures as I described in my earlier post.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: tallen

Well, in this particular picture there was no weep screed installed, they just put up wall board and stuccoed it to the ground. Unlicensed contractors.

If moisture wicks into the stucco why is it OK for it to be at grade?: To me stucco is not that far of from wood if it touches the dirt we have a problem.

I have seen many homes with the stucco extending beyond the weep screed,but if it touches the ground that makes it a moisture problem... Am I wrong?/

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Weep Screeds are seldom used in many areas - Kansas City is one of those areas - never seen it not being there create a problem.

tallen wrote:
I have seen many homes with the stucco extending beyond the weep screed,but if it touches the ground that makes it a moisture problem... Am I wrong?/

The moisture is a problem if it is anywhere near the sillplate. If your grade clearance is proper, the moisture won't wick up the stucco far enough to reach the sillplate.

If the sillplate is at or near grade. there's a potential problem.

Besides, there's no real moisture in AZ. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: mboehmer

The weep screed serves another purpose - water can enter stucco through cracks, around unsealed light fixtures, outlets and the like. The water then hits the house wrap and sheds down to the weep screed and out of the building. This is the way it should work- but when the weep screed is buried or missing in this case, the system cannot work and water may enter the walls and living space.

AlamoMike

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Stucco on frame, sheesh. I’m glad we usually only stucco the homes we build out of block around here. We usually put siding on the frame ones and when stucco is applied it’s usually over cement board. I used to hate seeing the EIFS up north.

Originally Posted By: CarlBrown

It might not be the stucco contractors fault. The builders and developers usually make the call. The stucco contractors just do what they are told. Dan is right in kansas city things are quite often done different. If you would like to see some pictures of things done “different” go to . www.badstucco.com It might shed a little light on a lot of leaking questions.

Thanks

Carl

If it was your house wouldn’t you want the best!!