Stucco weep screed

Originally Posted By: sstanczyk
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Inspected 53 year old home that had stucco exterior but did not see weep screed anywhere around home. Dug down about 6 inches in a couple planters and could not find the end of the stucco. While in the crawl space, I noted that the foundation is poured so that the sill plate is at least 24" above the outside grade and dry and hard as a bone. Almost 36" of head space made it the easiest crawl space I’ve been in.

This is one of the nicest stucco jobs I have seen. Not a single crack or patch job. No bubbling or water damage noted at the planters all around the house. But the concern as always is moisture wicking. With the sill plate being so high above grade, how would you suggest I write this up?

I have a couple days to turn in report. Lucky stiffs left for a Carribean vacation for New Years.

Steve

Originally Posted By: carl brown

Just goes to show everything old is not bad!!! And everything new might not be good! That house could have real 15# or 30# rag felt on it and no 2 layer moisture barrier system! And no OSB!!! And a real 3 cote stucco job! Chances are its got hail screen maybe even chicken wire instead of this metal lath of today. They took more pride in their work in those days.

Stucco work was done by real plasterer’s! There is way to much FAUX work , materials , being accepted these days!

Its all about the bottom line! Everybody is following CORPORATE america its not about quality its about money! IMO

Originally Posted By: dvalley

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: Monte Lunde

The 24" of stucco cover over the concrete foundation wall from the ground level to the sill plate is acting as a weep screed. If there was any problems with this method of construction it would have shown up in your inspection. I would not worry about the lack of a physical weep screed.