Sub-panel neutral & ground seperated (bonding strap present)

This is a subpanel in a manufactured home built in 1994. The panel was 200 amp with the neutral and ground separated, as you can see in the pictures the bonding strap was still connected. My question is should the strap be removed, the neutral and ground are not connected. The ground in on the side bar not the center bar.???

E.Unaka-Squibb-Derby 300.JPG

E.Unaka-Squibb-Derby 303.JPG

E.Unaka-Squibb-Derby 304.JPG

The bond is connecting the neutral bars.
Why do they need to be separated?

Why is this a considered a sub-panel?

Main disconnect is outside, in subpanels neutrals and grounds need to be separated (neutral must float). The bonding strap is still connected

neutral to neutral as I see it from here, but it’s late for the old eyes…

The first panel with a disconnect is the service equipment, and the grounded and grounding (neutral and ground) are bonded in the service equipment (and no where else).

That panel looks like service equipment to me.

Dom.

It’s not.

The strap is just connecting the neutral bars (with neutrals isolated), which are NOT bonded to the panel, GEC, or the grounding electrode system.

And the correct term is “neutral cross bar”. It’s not a bonding strap.

That’s how I see it, the neutrals are bonded together with the bonding strap.

Yes, you’re right, I see that now.

Mobile homes in most areas are required to be fed via 4 wires since the disconnect often tends to be on the outside on a pedestal. You can have a disconnect on a sub panel if desired, just not required.

The bar on the bottom jumpers the 2 neutral bars. 2 bars in a panel are a big plus for the installer and helps deter double lugging. The neutral is on plastic and not touching the can in any way as it should be. Its ok. The ground bar looks well secured and in places with its own ground wire from the in coming supply.

I see no issue with the neutrals or grounds in the panel. Wiring is also neatly laid out as well. Looks good.

You’re correct that it is a “cross bar,” but it’s purpose is, in fact, to “bond” the terminals.

This is a very standard setup for a manufactured home. Everything about it looks correct. It’s a sub panel with a disconnect, and the neutrals are properly isolated while the egc’s are bonded to the panel.

I understand the purpose of the cross bar. I was trying to help prevent the confusion of a ground bar “bonding strap”.

Mobile home panels are generally correct before they roll down the road. The only time I have ever witnessed one that was not, was after the fact and the owner decised to add a few things.
All are wired with isolated grounds/neutrals because the main disconnect is usually outside on a pole.

I think a large portion of the confusion comes from the use of the word bonded. The ground bus is bonded to the enclosure either through the mounting screws,or a bond strap to the can.

There is also a bond screw that would bond the neutral bar to the can in the service equipment. Both are bonds, but with different purposes.

I think everyone here is missing something. Dont look at the bar, look at the one screw on the neutral bar that is different. It may even be green but it looks like a bonding screw that goes through to the back of the panel. It is larger than the others. This setup has the neutral grounded.

This thread is over 4 years old.